We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Porcupine Mountains in the UP...

California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about Porcupine Mountains in the UP...

It sounds like a beautiful place to visit, although it sounds more like a place for serious hikers and backpacking. It doesn't sound like a place you can go for an afternoon like you can with the Pictures Rocks, or Tahquamenon Falls, or even Seney Wildlife Refuge. (a few places we will be visiting for sure!)

Anway, this is the impression I'm getting when I've checked it out.

Enlighten me?

Thanks!

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Porcupine Mountains in the UP...

We went to the UP on a camping trip this past June. Taquenmon Falls was so filled w/ mosquitos at that time of year it wasn't any fun. But it was BEAUTIFUL! Especially if you want to get away from civilization.

Took off from there to Porcupine Mountains and stayed at Union Bay State Park. We have two 5 year olds and a 3 year old. They loved the Porkies! There is a lot of hiking opportunities.

Are highlights were:

Walking the rocks on Lake Superior directly off Union Bay.

We did a lot of hikes to do Letterboxing. Go to the Visitor Center and they'll give you the clues. Just like a scavenger hunt and all the hikes are about 1-2 miles each to find the letter box.

Go see Lake in the Clouds. That is a must.

Drive to Houghton/Hancock. Very beautiful cities.

Tons of waterfalls.....we hiked to a bunch.

Nonesuch Mine Ruins hike.

Quincey Mine Tour - in the Houghton/Hancock area.

All these hikes we went on were short and easy. There are many other hikes that you could spend days on but w/ the little ones we were unable to.

Watersmeet, MI
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Porcupine Mountains in the UP...

You can certainly spend an afternoon at Lake in the Clouds. We mainly snowmobile up there from Watersmeet, MI but occasionally go up there in the summer. My friends were there last summer with two girls, 10 & 7 and they hiked all over the place just for the day!

California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Porcupine Mountains in the UP...

Thanks for the replies, however, I'm already back from our trip!

(Original post in July)

We did spend an afternoon while journeying up to Houghton, and saw the Lake of the Clouds! Very beautiful!

Cheers!

4. Re: Question about Porcupine Mountains in the UP...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 05:16