We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.P. scenic road suggestion?

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
U.P. scenic road suggestion?

Hi Folks!

Wonder I could get a few suggestions...

On our last day of our planned trip in the Upper Peninsula, we'll be travelling from the Marquette area back down to Green Bay, Wisconson.

We could go back down via route 41 or route 95 through Iron Mountain. Is Iron Mountain worth a visit? Is one route more scenic? Anything worth stopping for on either roads? (We'll be travelling in the fall)

We'll be in no hurry, it's an approximate 4 hour drive, but we'll have the whole day.

Thanks! :-)

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U.P. scenic road suggestion?

All things being equal I would suggest taking US41 to M-35/US41 in Gladstone and then remain on M-35 to reconnect with US 41 in Menominee/Marinette to Green Bay.

M-35 will take you along the Lake Michigan shore and is a more scenic drive than M-95.

Quite honestly there is not a lot to see along M-95 in the UP and even US 141 in Wisconsin is pretty humdrum. US 141 used to be a bit more interesting when it passed through a lot of the small Wisconsin towns but now it is much more freeway north of Green Bay and there's not really much to look at.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
306 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.P. scenic road suggestion?

Even as a former Dickinson County resident who remains a fan of the Iron Mnt. area, I agree w/ 24fan that, given your itinerary, you'll probably get more scenery/mile taking the closer-to-the-lakeshore route and making stops in places such as Gladstone/Escanaba, Marinette/Menominee, or a state park or wayside in between.

I'd recommend taking the Iron Mountain route if you want to add some iron-mining history touring and maybe want a scenic hike to some rugged rapids (or schedule a rafting trip through these rapids). Scenic hikes / walks are plentiful everywhere in the UP, no matter the route.

The more traditional iron mining tour is the Iron Mountain Iron Mine, which is actually in Vulcan, appx. 10 miles east of Iron Mountain on US 2. In Iron Mountain proper there's the Cornish Pump site. You could easily add a hike to Piers Gorge; the trails are free and easily accessible from US 8 taking the US 141 (Iron Mountain) way toward Green Bay.

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: U.P. scenic road suggestion?

Thanks for the insight... I should have mentioned that when we first start off our trip, we'll be coming up on the 35 from Green Bay so we will get some shorline driving. However, since we'll be heading straight for Fayette Park, we won't have time for much stopping time while driving through the towns.

I should have said more specifically the 41 or 95 while still in the U.P. if there were anything worth stopping for and spending an hour or two.

The Vulcan mine could be interesting I suppose, at the very least we might find something that says "Vulcan" on it for my "Trekkie" hubby! ;-)

I took a look at the Green Bay section, but to tell the truth, nothing really appeals in the "Things to Do" list there. For one thing, we are both sports gene deficient! :-P

Thanks again!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U.P. scenic road suggestion?

On your way to Fayette, take the time to stop at Kitchi-iti-kipi (The Big Spring).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
117 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.P. scenic road suggestion?

I agree a stop at the "Big Spring" is a great idea. Fayette is a beautiful place if you have not been there before. Snail Harbor there is so scenic. Enjoy your trip.

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: U.P. scenic road suggestion?

Oh yes, we definately have plans to see the Big Spring! :-)

7. Re: U.P. scenic road suggestion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 05:17