We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Peninsula Details

Long Beach, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Upper Peninsula Details

We have our U,P, trip mostly planned, thanks to these forums. Now we have a few more specific questions. Is it better to stay in Escanaba or Manistique, and where should we stay there? What is the most scenic route to take from Marquette to Escanaba? What is the best boat tour for the Pictured Rocks?

Thanks.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Peninsula Details

Escanaba would give you more lodging choices but without knowing where you are coming from or where you are going it's hard to say which would be a better choice.

There really isn't what I would call a scenic route from Mqt to Esky. The best route would likely be US 41.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Peninsula Details

Escanaba is about 4 times bigger then Manistique so it depends on what you plan to do.

How much time do you have to go from Marquette to Escanaba. Not many direct routes to chose from if you want to just get there.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Peninsula Details

We did the shipwreck boat tour a few weeks ago. It goes past Pictured Rocks, but gives detailed information on the three shipwrecks. About 15 years ago my husband and I did the Pictured Rocks tour and found it to be pretty, but a little boring. The shipwreck tour was interesting and fun to do with the kids. The only thing is that the boat gets divided up into 2-3 groups depending on how many people and then the crew calls each individual group separately to the glass bottom to view the wreck. This is a little time consuming, but everyone gets a turn to see them.

I was glad we didn't do a regular tour that afternoon because there was a heavy fog cloud covering the rocks and you couldn't see them. I don't know how often this happens.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Peninsula Details

We recently enjoyed the Pictured Rocks boat tour. I did not find it boring at all. It was quiet on the way back and it was a good time for a short nap (10 minutes..). LOL. It is a beautiful time for a different type of boat ride-how often can you go out on Lake Superior? Go!

5. Re: Upper Peninsula Details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 07:17