We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UP Road Trip - With Dogs

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
Save Topic
UP Road Trip - With Dogs

I have an urge do to a road trip through the UP and cover some territory I've never been to before. As I'm like much of Michigan and not working now, I have the time - but also need to stick to a budget.

I would also like to take my dogs along - both to save kennel fees and I think they would enjoy it too. One 70 pound German Shepherd and one 50 pound Australian Shepherd. It looks like I can find plenty of motels that allow pets at pretty cheap rates - especially since it is off season up there.

I'm thinking maybe overnight stops in St. Ignace, Marquette area, and then Escanaba/Iron Mountain. I would then head back to Detroit through Green Bay and stop to visit some friends in Chicago - or have them meet me somewhere along the west shore of Lake MI.

I don't like to over plan things like this. I'm thinking I will just assemble a list of motels that accept pets in these areas and run it day by day. I'm not really worried about major activities either - just finding places to walk the dogs a couple miles a couple times a day. I also have collapsible crates if I do want to leave them in a room for a couple hours here or there (I know hotel policies vary on this).

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations???

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UP Road Trip - With Dogs

I can help! St Ignace-stay at the Budget Host! Very pet friendly. We love it and have taken out dogs there many times. Our dogs LOVE the beach area along Highway 2 about 10 miles west of St Ignace. We have found a lot of the U.P very pet friendly.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UP Road Trip - With Dogs

We also stayed at the Hiawatha Motel in Escanaba with our dog. Its a small mom&pop place, but did not charge extra for pets. Our first stop was at the

Days Inn (if my memory is correct), but they wanted $30 extra for each pet.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UP Road Trip - With Dogs

Anywhere along Highway 2 would be a fantastic place to run your dogs, like Doggy states. Presque Isle Park in Marquette should allow dogs to run-but exactly where I am not sure. I am sure someone from the UP will comment on this.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UP Road Trip - With Dogs

Presque Isle Park in Marquette has a "No Dogs Allowed" policy. That said, anywhere in Marquette County there is an abundance of trails and areas where your dogs can run within a short driving distance. I would think any hotel/motel that allows pets could advise you.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UP Road Trip - With Dogs

Wow, that is a surprise about Presque Isle Park.

Back in college, we could have our dogs there, but that was a looonnnggg time ago-lol. Sorry about any wrong info I gave out...!

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UP Road Trip - With Dogs

The Holiday Inn Express & Days Inn in Mackinaw City accepts dogs. So does the Holiday Inn in Munising. Check petfriendly.com to find other hotels along the way.

7. Re: UP Road Trip - With Dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 05:17