We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

My family, husband, wife, 12 year old son, and two dogs, is planning a fishing trip the second week of July. I love the dunes areas, from what I remember as a kid, but we plan on renting a lake cabin for the week. Would anyone have recommendations on an excellent fishing lake? We can get plenty of bass and blue gill in Indiana, so we are looking for walleye, crappie, perch. I've seen cabin rentals on Chippewa Lake that are pet friendly. Anyone familiar with Chippewa?

Ludington, Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

Ludington State Park has Hamlin Lake for fishing, cabins you can rent and the dunes. Cited one of the best state parks in Michigan.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

How far North are you looking to go? Burt and Mullett Lakes are part of the 40+ mile Inland Waterway, some of the best fishing, swimming and boating in the Midwest! Location is about 1/2 hour South of Mackinaw, but just off I-75. There are plenty of cabins and lake homes for rental as well as boats, jet skis, etc.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

Thanks for the info, maybe next year...they seem to be pretty much booked the whole month of July already this year.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

Awesome...Burt Lake has plenty of space available yet this year. Thanks!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

Burt Lake is a great choice! Another excellent choice is my favorite inland lake in Michigan, Lake Charlevoix. There are plenty of rentals on the lake, from cabins and cottages to massive homes to condos. The fishing is excellent and a lot of fun. Lots of sunfish and perch along with pike, trout and others. The towns of Charlevoix, Boyne City and East Jordan are all right on the lake. My kids particularly love the weekly concerts in Boyne City and Charlevoix along with an ice cream cone from Kilwins.

Have a great trip! Moms

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

Burt or Mullett Lake would be wonderful. Great for fishing, boating and swimming and a really up north, rural feel.

Edited: 10 March 2010, 04:31
7. Re: Family Lake Fishing, Swimming, Exploring In Northern Michiga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 05:26