We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Ok... flying blind here.

My teens say that all they want to do this summer is hang out with their cousins on a lake where their uncle can drive them around on a boat.

My mother-in-law suggested Michigan. Ok.. I'm game. I've never been to Michigan, I know nothing about the state and I don't even know where to start looking.

Location Requirements:

Good sized lake or Lake Michigan. Dock. Ability to rent boats. Housing for up to 25 people (this can be multiple homes in a general area).

What is the best of Michigan? Give me some suggestions that will show off your state!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Check out Curtis, Michigan in the Upper Peninsula.

3 lakes in the area. The Big Manistique Lake is 10 miles by 5 miles.

You could rent a few cabins at a resort.

Curtis Chamber web site -

http://www.curtischamber.com/

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Thanks for your suggestion. I did some poking around. Anyone want to weigh in on Torch Lake, Elk Lake or Charlevoix?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

I've had my boat on Torch Lake and many times on LakeCharleviox. These are very large inland lakes, deep and beautiful. Here's a shot of Lake Charlevoix, the lake extends some 20 miles with the south leg ending at East Jordan and the north leg ends at Boyne City.

sailblogs.com/member/dreambegins/images/lake…

At the entrance to the south leg there's a restaurant called the Landings that you can pull your boat up to and eat. That's also where the Ironton Ferry crosses. To give you an idea of size, Round Lake the little lake just in from Lake Michigan (you'd have very easy access to L. Mich.) is about a half mile across.

There's also what's known as the chain of lakes that are all connected and you can travel from the Petoskey area all the way to Lake Huron. That would be a bit north and Deadhead's territory.

Problem, really, is that there are so many beautiful, pristine lake in northern MI.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Please look at the Inland Water way of Northern Michigan (lower pennisula). Indian river, Michigan being the center. There are several marinas and rental places. there is TONS of homes for rent via VRBO.COM on Mullet or Burt lake... or even Crooked Lake. It is beautiful and you can fish, ski, go for joy rides, you name it. There are some nice restaurants in indian river, Petosky and cheboygan to name a few. there should be some earlier posts here about the area. Try the search box. Also check out Michigan Interactive, http://www.fishweb.com/, click boat at the top (little letters) then on the left amongst the many links, find Inland Water way. there are several links. There are links to lodging, rentals etc. The kind of information your asking about. The LANDINGS is one place that rents cabins on the river by mullet Lake, and has rentals too. There at least three places that I can think of that you can pull up to with your boat and get a burger, sandwich, or a nice dinner. It's a great place to vacation. Glad to answer questions, ask away. The other places, like Charlevoix, are lovely too. I just know more about the Waterway.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Inland Water way , that's what it's called I referred to it as the chain of lakes. I'd love to do that someday.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

There is a chain of lakes too! thats Torch Lake etc.. I have not done that one, but the Inland Waterway, does go to lake Huron. What a jewel. The scenery is wonderful, but then the OP has the Rocky Mountains as a view. It's all good!

Edited: 09 April 2010, 00:16
West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Can you rent a boat on Torch Lake/ the chain of lakes? We may be heading up mid-May from the Paw Paw area for a few days if the weather is decent. Thanks!

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

explore this website for rentals:

http://www.sunsetwatersports.com/

I picked it up from

www.fishweb.com (click "boat") at top left. It's in little letters. I listed this website in a previous post but because the comma is in it at the end of the line it doesn't work. I can't edit it now. Just type it in if need be.

Edited: 09 April 2010, 23:34
West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Thanks for the info. Have a great weekend. BB

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer Lake Vacation... Michigan

Great to hear you're thinking of Michigan for your lake vacation!! Choices for waterfront in Michigan are unlimited as are recreation opportunities. While Michigan's not known nationally as a tourism destination, Michiganders have long been in the know, taking advantage of their in-state tourism opportunities at rates much higher than those throughout the country. I wholeheartedly endorse the Inland Waterway recommendation...I grew up on Mullett Lake (part of the waterway) and it's absolutely beautiful...Mullett is a little over 17,000 acres and Burt Lake is just over 18,000...both are clear, warm in the summer and perfect for boating/swimming. The waterway is 40+ miles long, starts in Crooked Lake near Petoskey and winds up at Lake Huron in Cheboygan...a great full day's trip. I represent one of the highest end homes on the lake that would easily accommodate your group, but the rental is in the $5,000/week neighborhood...12,000 sq ft with every conceivable amenity...contact me if you'd like further info on this property or general info on the waterway.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a blast...enjoy all Michigan has to offer and please...tell your friends!!