We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping suggestions?

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
camping suggestions?

This July I will be driving from Ottawa, ON to Winnipeg, MB and have decided (I think!) to go via the US. I'm looking for some campground suggestions between the two destinations. I've tried looking at the state tourism site, but haven't found it terribly helpful.

According to Google maps, I'll be traveling along Hwy 28. I would prefer to stay at a national or state park. Other than that, I'm not too particular. All I need is a place to park my tent. I don't need electricity or water hookups.

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping suggestions?

State parks and campgrounds can be found at the DNR website:

Here's a start:

michigandnr.com/ParksandTrails/ParkMap.aspx

You can also make reservations at this site as well.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping suggestions?

One more link:

http://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping suggestions?

I'd got for either Brimley State Park (in Brimley) or Tahquamenon State Park, though TSP is a bit off the M-28, but neither are too far from it. Both are very nice parks, and TSP will allow you to see one of the most popular waterfalls east of the Mississippi. It is beautiful there. There is a very nice drive between the two parks and a few tourist spots if interested. If you are interested, let us know so we can give you the lowdown on that route.

d8n
Oxford, MI
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping suggestions?

I'll second the recommendation for Tahquamenon State Park. It is worth the drive. Hike the trail along the river from the Lower to Upper Falls. It's one of the nicer State Parks in Michigan. You can, also, camp at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising. Check out nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm . (This would be the easiest to reach off Highway 28). A third recommendation is for Porcupine Mountains State Park near Ontonagon. Hope you have a great trip!

Midwest
Level Contributor
20 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping suggestions?

Could someone give me personal recommendations for places to camp near Porcupine Mts or Pictured Rocks. Not just links to websites because I've looked at those. I would like to hear from someone who has actually camped someplace that they like and can tell me what the sites are like. We have a small trailer, but don't like the big crowded RV parks. Would like to have a nice, quiet, wooded, private site with electricity if possible, but not essential.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping suggestions?

To the OP, I know you're looking for state or national parks, but don't rule out the DNRE (Dept of Natural Resources & Environment) State Forest Campgrounds...always more rustic and much less crowded that state/national parks but I've always had really good experiences camping in these campgrounds...also, a nice bonus is that the overnight fees are low and there's no entrance fee...here's a quick DNRE description:

If you are looking for a rustic camping experience, with plenty of space between camp sites, the 145 state forest campgrounds are for you. Located throughout Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula, the state forest campgrounds provide over 3,000 campsites in the nearly 4-million acres of state forest.

Every campground is located on a river or lake, providing excellent access to fishing, boating and canoeing. Over 60 campgrounds have nearby pathways for non-motorized trail recreation...

Here's a link to a map of state parks, state forest campgrounds and pathways. Just click on counties to see what's available...

michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParkMap.aspx

Sounds like a fun trip, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in Northern Michigan!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camping suggestions?

WE camp in Gogebic State Park when near the Porcupine Mtns. It is a very large campground; large sites, quiet, large shade trees (many on the water), however, most not private. Grass by and large. Nice little beach and palyground, picnic area. Bathrooms I am not sure of-they had not redone them the last time we were there, but that may have changed. Old, but kept very clean and decent. I rather liked them myself.

I cannot really give a recommendation for anything around Pictured Rocks. Sorry.

8. Re: camping suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 05:15