We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend a day or two...

Atkinson, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend a day or two...

The first week of August we will be traveling with our 15 and 13 year old children and will be spending a couple days in Traverse City on our way up to Mackinac Island. I am wondering on our way back where a good beach town would be to stay and explore for a day or so. We've been to St Joseph and South Haven so we're looking for a place north of there. Any suggestions?

BTW, I saw something about "coast guard week." What is that?

Thanks!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend a day or two...

That would be Grand Haven. I'd google Grand Haven or even "Coast Guard week" and you will find what you need. GH is a nice town to stop in, but it is also a very popular time, so it will be very busy.

Holland is also nice, and GH, Holland and Saugatuck all are close enough together that you could spend a bit of time in each town. All have nice beaches.

Further up is Ludington. You could not ask for a nicer beach. State park beach is miles long. City park beach is also very nice. You can walk out to the lighthouse. Some pretty nice shopping.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend a day or two...

Grand Haven for the Coast Guard Festival would probably be a lot of fun for you and your family.

Ludington, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend a day or two...

I am from Ludington and I agree that we have the best beaches around. Clean, not crowded, beautiful and stuff to do. The city beach has concession stands, shuffleboard, mini golf, playground, easy walk to light house and more.

The state park is wonderful, many rails of varied difficulties, boating (your own or rentals), Lake Michigan beaches and inland lake beaches, fishing, 2 mi. walk to a light house, concession

In town we have mini golf, go carts, theater, couple blocks of quaint downtown shopping, Ice Cream shoppes. Many restaurants of the usual kinds. Other small towns close by that are nice too, like Pentwater.

There is plenty of variety of lodging in the area, tent camping, camping cabins, hotels and motels, bed and breakfasts, cabins, resorts, homes, you name it.

Ludington is known for it's super friendly people.

Hope you come for a visit!

4. Re: Where to spend a day or two...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 08:15