We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Suggestions

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Suggestions

Hi everyone. Well it's summertime again and also vacation time. Last year I posted here and asked for some suggestions on where to go for a short trip and received a ton of help and feedback. I am posting here again this year for hopefully the same help with different parameters.

We are looking for a location up north obviously, that has a beach and preferably lodging on the beach, but at the same time has a vibrant enough downtown area to keep us busy if the weather isn't so hot. I know some small towns have brewery's, restaurants,etc. Traverse City is one option obviously but it seems REALLY expensive to stay there and I am trying to keep cost somewhat down. Cottages, hotels, whatever are cool.

Also, if you know of any hotels that are beachfront that offer a fire pit on the beach that would be awesome too. My gf has never done that and I am hoping to help her out.

I appreciate everyone's help, this forum is really a great resource and really very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Traverse City
Traverse City
Grand Traverse County, MI
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Suggestions

The beach isn't that nice where the hotels are, but the view is beautiful and many of the hotels in Mackinaw City do evening fires on the beach. The downtown is pretty active - not so much for the nightlife, but free entertainment and shops. The national chains along the water are an easy walk from downtown, but tend to be more expensive and have customer care issues. The smaller motels farterh south a half mile have some good prices and work harder at keeping you happy.

You might go to Mackinac Island for a day and stay late into the evening when the Island is less busy, finally taking a ferry back near sunset.

Mentioned in this post
Mackinaw City
Mackinaw City
Cheboygan County, MI
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Suggestions

Well thank you for your advice. There has been somewhat of a change. I am ready to ask my gf the BIG question and I think I may do it on this trip assuming I find a ring in time. So how about a nice area up north that's really romantic, somewhere that would be memorable. I'm sorry for changing it but i've made up my mind lol

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Suggestions

Cool! I just proposed 2 months ago (in the Eiffel Tower :-).

If you took the trip I suggested, there are several spots on Mackinac Island that would be perfect. For example, the Tea Room at Fort Mackinac with its gorgous view of the harbor. Or the Cupola Bar at the very top of the Grand Hotel. The two level bar is beautiful, has a wonderful view and if you went during the middle of the day is usually empty.

Other places: Tahquamenon Falls, the bridge over the river at Falling Waters Lodge in Leland, Hartwick Pines State Park, the raft in the springs at Kitchitikipi, the top of the tower at any of the lighthouses that are open to the public in Michigan.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Hotel
Grand Hotel
2,759 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
Falling Waters Lodge
Falling Waters Lodge
15 Reviews
Leland, MI
Fort Mackinac
Fort Mackinac
1,666 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
Tahquamenon Falls
Tahquamenon Falls
172 Reviews
Paradise, MI
Hartwick Pines State Park
Hartwick Pines State Park
192 Reviews
Grayling, MI
Cupola Bar
Cupola Bar
324 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Leland
Leland
Leelanau County, MI
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Suggestions

I don't think they have a fire pit, but Chateau Chantal winery near Traverse City has beautiful views and accommodations.

http://www.chateauchantal.com/

Mackinac Island is also a super place. I would pick the Grand Hotel over the Tea Room. Or make a reservation at the Woods restaurant (a Grand Hotel property). Take a private carriage (book earlier in the day or at least a couple hours prior) which will take you past the Grand Hotel. The taxi usually stops (be sure to ask the driver to be 100% sure) just past the Grand Hotel to rest the horses which has beautiful views of the water. That would be a great time.

http://www.grandhotel.com/dining/woods

Best Western Harbour Pointe in St. Ignace just across the Mackinaw Bridge is a great place to stay. Nice rooms, nice staff, and they do fires on the beach. Ferries to Mackinac Island depart from St. Ignace as well as Mackinaw City. There is a lot more shopping and restaurants in Mackinaw City, but it's just a few mile drive from St. Ignace.

http://www.harbourpointe.com/

Mentioned in this post
Grand Hotel
Grand Hotel
2,759 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
The Woods Restaurant
The Woods Restaurant
354 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
Traverse City
Traverse City
Grand Traverse County, MI
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Saint Ignace
Saint Ignace
Mackinac County, MI
Mackinaw City
Mackinaw City
Cheboygan County, MI
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Suggestions

For such a wonderful occasion, I would definetly head to Mackinac Island. I would spend a little extra to stay overnight on the island for just one night. How about staying at The Inn at Stone Cliffe? It is my favorite on the island. It is also extremely romantic and, this year, they seem to be offering some fantastic deals.

http://www.theinnatstonecliffe.com/

On the website, go the photo gallery. You can see the amazing views offered behind the Inn. The staff is wonderful! I would ask them to set up the Adirondack chairs with a bottle of champagne nearby. You could propose at sunset overlooking the straits and the bridge while sipping champagne. How lovely! I would follow it up with dinner at The Woods next door.

Congratulations and enjoy your trip up north! Moms

Lighthouselover: Congratulations and such a romantic place to propose!

Mentioned in this post
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Suggestions

Wow so Mackinac seems to be the consensus pick. I really appreciate the advice guys, and the well wishes.

Mentioned in this post
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
7. Re: Travel Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 07:18