We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitehall, Pentwater or Ludington?

WindyCity
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Whitehall, Pentwater or Ludington?

Hi fellow tripadvisors, Can you share your expert advice please. Myself and husband want to plan a lastminute wedding anniversary weekend in Michigan. We want to be near a really nice beach, somewhere quaint, with a few nice restaurants..basically somewhere to kick back and relax. We have travelled as far north as Saugatuck before but haven't gone any further and so I'm wondering if Whitehall, Pentwater or Ludington would be good options? If so, do you have any preference? If not, can you recommend another location (don't want to go to much further north this time). Many thanks in advance.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitehall, Pentwater or Ludington?

Personally, I love Ludington. In my opinion, it has the loveliest beaches in the state. The city beach is within walking distance of downtown. It has a beautiful sandy beach, a grassy park area, and a pier you can stroll along to the lighthouse. North of town, the state park also has miles of sandy beach. If you park south of the state park entrance, and hike over the dunes, you can usually find a fairly private stretch of beach. For restaurants, I would recommend Jamesport Brewing Company and PM Steamers for dinner. For breakfast and ice cream, I like House of Flavors.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitehall, Pentwater or Ludington?

I have been visiting the Pentwater area for 12 years now, the last four with my wife. We both love it! We visit the weekend after the 4th of July every year. The throngs of people are gone. The art fair goes on during that weekend as well. It's a nice mix of quaint artisitc community as well as fishing and beaches. We stay at Whispering Surf every year, but there are any number of B & Bs in the area as well as other accomodations. If you visit be sure to try Bortell's Fishery for excellent fish. Ask in town they'll direct oyu how to get there...it was featured on the Food Network as one of the best places for fresh fish. It's carry out and they have picnic tables.

WindyCity
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitehall, Pentwater or Ludington?

Thank you so much for the great advice! Decisions, decisions!!

4. Re: Whitehall, Pentwater or Ludington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 05:17