We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinac Bridge named

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Mackinac Bridge named

Article on msn today listing the scariest bridges in the world and our Mackinac Bridge is one of them.

travelandleisure.com/articles/…7

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinac Bridge named

The bridges listed immediately before and after the Mackinac Bridge seemed much more scarry!

But I will say that on Labor Day it is a bit of a challenge to walk on the grating and look down. It seems as if the next step might be down.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinac Bridge named

Mackinac Bridge is not that "scary",IMHO.

It's straight,well-maintained and usually not crowded.

If you want "scary" I would suggest the Pulaski Skyway in Kearney,NJ,any of the bridges over the Houston Ship Channel and most the bridges leading into New Orleans.

All poorly maintained and all quite scary...LOL

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinac Bridge named

Neva your post was interesting. LOL. I do not find any of the bridges crossing the Houston Ship Channel scary at all, however, the bridges going into New Orleans can be a bit intimidating to visitors-all that water, with the bridge not that far above the water, knowing that all those alligators and snakes are swimming right below.....!

Mackinac Bridge-well, I've crossed it so many times, I couldn't begin to think of it as scary, unless the wind was really blowing.

Light, I noticed on our Labor Day walk 2 years ago, the large number of people that would NOT walk on the grate surface at all; and many more that did would not look down, said it made them dizzy and/or ill feeling. Neither of us had any problem doing so; however, when we stopped to take a few pics and rest a bit, we were weaving a bit back and forth and realized it was the bridge swaying, not us....lol. :)

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinac Bridge named

My husband is afraid of heights and did not like driving over the bridge until we walked it on Labor Day a few years ago. He walked on the grates, saw it wasn't so bad, and now has no problem driving on them.

The next year they stopped the walk about an hour into it because of high winds. We were one of the last ones to be allowed to cross but it was a little hairy. A security guy who was standing on the bridge partway across yelled at the lady in front of us they she better hold onto her young daughter or she could be blown off the bridge. That got our attention!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mackinac Bridge named

My father had a gas station in Mackinaw City during the early years of the bridge's existance. It was not unusual for someone to pay to be driven over the bridge, but the number doing it grew smaller with the years.

6. Re: Mackinac Bridge named

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 05:17