We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Haven Help

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Haven Help

Hi All,

We are looking to take a trip to Grand Haven in July - most likely the week of the 11th. The problem we are having is finding a rental house to accomodate our large (16 adults 3 toddlers) Is anyone familiar with a cluster or group of cottages that may be able to accomodate our group, or any large rental properties?

I have checked VRBO, Homeaway, and vacationrentals, all without much luck,

Also, in reference to Spring Lake, we are hoping to use the lake for our boating needs as opposed to Lake Michigan, are there houses on the lake? Public slips/launch areas?

We have never been to GH but are VERY excited so any help is appreciated!

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Haven Help

Check into Serendipity Resorts (http://www.serendipityresorts.com/home.php). They're a cluster of restored older homes in GH, about three blocks from the waterfront and two blocks from downtown. But check right away, because things around here book early. Another option might be the Boyden House (http://www.boydenhouse.com/), which is a large B and B. It's in town, but a bit further from the waterfront. I don't know of any homes available to rent on Spring Lake.

When I say waterfront I mean the boardwalk that goes along the Grand River. It's extremely popular in the summer, and is about a 10 minute walk on it to our state park on Lake Michigan.

We have a public boat launch on Harbor Island, which is right in town and an easy 10 minute boat to Spring Lake. There is also a public launch in the village of Spring Lake (on the the Grand River) at Millpoint Park.

I don't know what kind of boat you have, but on a calm day be sure to take it out on Lake Michigan to appreciate the shoreline and views. They're gorgeous. Just understand that the weather can change quickly, so don't venture too far. The beauty of our coastline is that, no matter where you are, you're usually within ten miles of a safe harbor.

You'll love the Grand Haven area. There are lots of options for recreation and day trips as well. If you have any more questions, this is definitely the place to ask. Enjoy your time here.

Mentioned in this post
Boyden House Inn
Boyden House Inn
78 Reviews
Grand Haven, MI
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Alton
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Haven Help

Reply To: Grand Haven Help

If you aren't having any luck finding accommadations for your large group on Spring Lake I found a couple of very nice houses on Potawatamie Bayou which are large enough for your group and have nice beaches in front of the houses and even have small water craft. This area is located 10 minutes from Grand Haven and has water access to Lake Michiganthese homes are listed on vrbo, go to Gran Haven the houses are listed under Slice of Life and The Boathouse. Grand Haven is a wonderful town with lots to do.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Haven Help

To piggyback on this, there is water access to Lake Michigan, but it's a bit of a ride down river, probably a good 30 - 40 minute boat ride to the big lake. Thought this would be helpful with your decision making.

4. Re: Grand Haven Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2012, 09:03