We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2011

ohio
6 posts
Save Topic
Summer 2011

Hi from Ohio! We are looking into vacation spots that are close to home and thought about MI! We here it's beautiful! We have a 13, 17 and 19 yr old, two in their 40's :) and two seniors that we need to find entertainment for.

We love going to the ocean, but like I mentioned looking closer to home. Can someone please guide as to where a great spot would be???

Thanks

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer 2011

If you're looking for something similar to the ocean without the salt, then you'll probably be looking at the Lake Michigan shoreline on the west side of the state. Look at towns like South Haven, Grand Have, Muskegon, Ludington, Manistee, and Traverse City as well as Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. These are all about a 5 hour drive from Toledo, so should be relatively close to home. The upper peninsula has a lot of great sites as well, and so do many inland lakes.

There are so many things to do, but if you're looking for beaches on one of the Great Lakes in Michigan, start there and then decide what other things might be of interest.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer 2011

When you have narrowed it down, or want to give us a list of things you all like to do, let us know so we can be more specific.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
927 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer 2011

Yep, more info would help, but definitely check out Grand Haven as an option. We have huge, beautiful beaches that are extremely popular. Lots of hiking trails, 100+ miles of bike paths and outside restaurants and bars on the water. I'll be glad to fill you in, or you can check out some of my previous posts. There have also been many other great posts re: the big lake and our beaches. Good luck as you begin your search.

ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer 2011

I have tried looking for a cabin/house for three days and I'm having a lot of problems finding something. Any othe websites that are a good resource other than vrbo??? We woullike to stay in the Northwest area.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer 2011

Try looking for the Convention & Visitors Bureau website for the places you are thinking of visiting. For instance, for Traverse City the site for accommodations is at:

http://www.traversecity.com/accommodations-5/

From here you can find information on Hotels & Motels, Cabins & Cottages, and B&Bs, and other options. Selecting Cabins & Cottages, for instance, then provides 10 listings for the area, each with more detailed information on the property and contact information and websites.

Another option would be to go to Google maps (maps.google.com), search for the city, then change the search to Cabins (for instance) to find places in the general area, although some of the matches might be less well related.

Rockford, MI
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer 2011

Also consider Charlevoix, Petoskey and Elk Rapids. Last summer we rented a home in Elk Rapids for our 13 year old twins birthday at the end of the summer. We let them each bring a few friends. The place we rented is near the park just west of downtown. There is plenty for all ages to do and you can feel confident that the children are safe. We all want to do this again this summer.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer 2011

I prefer Homeaway.com to VRBO. I think it is easier to search. We just rented an apartment in Ludington for 4 days in early August. We were really lucky to find it, since most of the rental properties in Ludington only rent by the week in the summer. Good luck on your search.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer 2011

If you love waterfalls, then the Upper Peninsula would be a major consideration, along with all of it's natural beauty. There are some 100+ falls up here.

9. Re: Summer 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 09:26