We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Help

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
305 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Help

I am looking for help on finding a rental, so if anyone has stayed at or knows of any that would meet the following requirements, please let me know.

The targeted travel time is mid - late September or early October (anytime the month after Labor Day).

There are 3 adults (wife and I are early 30s, and mother-in-law) and an 18 month old.

So, looking for a 2 bedroom (or larger) cabin (1 bedroom with minimum Queen bed). We would like a deck or screened in porch, hot tub is a must, pool table is a must, grill and outdoor firepit are musts, other included fun amenities would be huge pluses (i.e - other types of game tables, cable/satellite TV, boat or even boat rental place nearby), has to be on either Lake Huron (preference) or Lake Michigan and the more secluded the better.

I am not terribly concerned about price, within reason, but the only places I am finding with what I am looking for seem to be 6+ bedrooms which I don't need or want to pay for. I would prefer not to go to the UP but if it was on the southern side of the UP, I would consider it if it met the other requirements.

Other things to do in the area are not important as I would like somewhere that I don't have to leave if I don't want to (hence the amenities). Although I would like to have access to a grocery store and maybe somewhere to eat out within a reasonable drive.

I have checked vrbo and homeaway and can't seem to find what I am looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Huron
Lake Huron
10 Reviews
Michigan
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
26 Reviews
Michigan
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Help

We rented a house in Manistee a few years ago, and are renting another in Ludington this summer. I think you are having problems finding what you want because the market is so small. I think the lakefront rental properties in MI can only count on making money in June, July, an August. That limits the number of rentals. Maybe you could look into condos, or drop some of your requirements. That's probably not what you want to hear, but those were my thoughts after reading your post. However, maybe someone else will know of the perfect property for you. I hope so.

Mentioned in this post
Ludington
Ludington
Michigan
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
305 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Help

MissyMeg, thanks for the response, I have kind of realized that it probably isn't there. I have spent hours looking and emailing various owners/companies. Typically, we go to Hocking Hills or Gatlinburg and those ameniites seem to be fairly standard, at least in the places we rent so did not think it would be an issue but I guess the rental scene is different there. My wife is just looking for somewhere different this time around. Posting here was my last ditch effort so I am thinking that it doesn't exist so have started moving on and looking at areas where there might be more to do so accomodation requirements don't have to be as stringent. Maybe in a few years when our travel will be restricted to summer for school reasons, we will have better luck with a Great Lakes vacation but for now, still prefer to travel off-season and avoid the crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Help

I wonder if you could find a B&B that would meet your requirements?

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
538 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Help

Maybe you should look at inland lakes instead of Huron or Michigan. There are wonderful inland lakes in northern Michigan.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Help

Trabba, I certainly didn't want to discourage you from vacationing in Michigan. I'm from Michigan, and I think it is absolutely beautiful. When my daughter and I spent a weekend in Ludington last summer, I was amazed all over again at its beauty. When we were kayaking in the state park, I turned to her and said, "This is so nice. Why aren't there more people here? Don't they know it exists?" I think if you work through your lodging dilemas, you would find a vacation on or near Lake Michigan to be very relaxing. I wish you luck.

Mentioned in this post
Ludington
Ludington
Michigan
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
26 Reviews
Michigan
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Help

Perhaps you can find what you are looking for through this site that was posted on here earlier today: www.us23heritageroute.org/eatshopsleep.asp…

The main site, us23heritageroute.org, has many ideas for traveling the Sunrise Side of Michigan along the Lake Huron coast. The link I selected, above, is the Eat, Shop and Sleep section of the coast, including many resorts (with links) from motels & cottages to rentals & condos.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Huron
Lake Huron
10 Reviews
Michigan
Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Help

If you don't have to be on one of the big lakes, Boyne Mt. in Boyne Falls has beautiful log cabins with hot tubs and lots of amenities closeby including the indoor waterpark, restaurants, shopping etc. Probably not much in the way of boat rentals that time of year but still lots to do in a beautiful, rustic setting.

boyne.com/BoyneMountain/…Mountain_Cabins.html

Lake Michigan is about a half hour away.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
26 Reviews
Michigan
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
305 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Help

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I think it is a timing issue, as MissyMeg suggested. A lot of the responses that I received from owners were that they only rent Memorial Day thorugh Labor Day as there isn't much of a market to warrant keeping utilities and such going after that. I was looking at Huron or Michigan as I wanted to be able to look out and see nothing but water, maybe a huge freighter, but not be able to see across the lake (like the ocean feeling but not the ocean). I also realized that going during the off-season that there might not be as much to do, so wanted the amenities, especially for evening actiivities (pool table, cable, hot tob, etc...). I will definitely keep that link handy BayGuy as I do plan on doing this one day, maybe next summer, but think that for this year, since we can't go until September, we will go farther south and hit the ocean. Again, thanks, and I am definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for something for next year.

9. Re: Rental Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:17