We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Michigan Romantic Getaway

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lake Michigan Romantic Getaway

My husband and I are trying to plan a short little getaway towards the end of July.. 2 or 3 nights... Monday July 25 to Thursday July 28th. We are wanting to go somewhere romantic but on a budget. We are in Indiana, so it's only about 5 1/2 hours away to Lake Michigan. So, I thought it might be a nice place to go. Can anyone give some advice as to some nice but reasonably priced places to stay? Which beaches are the most secluded? Things to do? We don't have to see everything. I haven't been there since I was like 8 and we were only there for a few hours.. so I really don't know where to start.

Thanks so much!!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Michigan Romantic Getaway

I live in Indiana now, but I am originally from Michigan. I'll toss out the names of three cities, and you can check them out to see if any of them meet your needs.

For adults without children, I always recommend Saugatuck. It's an artsy little town with a lot of nice restaurants. I haven't been to the beach in Saugatuck, though, so I can't speak to that.

South Haven is another lovely beach town in southern MI. It has two beautiful beaches within walking distance from a very cute downtown. With the little information you provided in your original post, I think South Haven might be your best bet.

However, my favorite Lake Michigan beach town is Ludington. It has miles of beaches, and you could find yourself a secluded spot if you are willing to walk over some dunes. The state park is beautiful, and has hiking, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, tubing, etc. To me, the downtown seems less touristy than a lot of other beach towns.

My husband is from Ludington, and we visit there quite often. From my experience, I have to say that it is difficult to find nice, reasonably priced lodging during the prime tourist season. They make very little money in the off season, so they charge premium prices during the summer. Still, I think the price is worth it for the beauty of the beaches and the state park. If you have any questions, let me know. Hope you have a great trip.

Edited: 05 May 2011, 01:26
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Michigan Romantic Getaway

here's a link:

http://beachtowns.org/

saugatuck is great, but its beach, called oval beach, is overrated.... the downtown is cutesy and along the river---it takes a bit to get to the beach..... however, ludington has some nice (but expensive) B&B's near the Lake. if you go to ludington, silver lake st park is close, and when you get away from the ORV's, you feel like you've been transported to another world. the beach is skinnydippable..... locally, ludington city beach and ludington state beach (about 5-10 miles north of town) are excellent....

if you're on a tight budget and don't mind staying in a campground, there's a hidden gem of a park in covert. the beach is awesome and skinnydippable. get a cabin, which is about 50 bucks a nite....

also, there are a coupla inns in union pier that i'm curious about, but i've never been. hopefully one day, tho.....

Ohio
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Michigan Romantic Getaway

Dear StrangeTrippe....could you please elaborate more on the cabin area? Are they on the beach and what town are they in?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
652 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Michigan Romantic Getaway

He may be talking about the cabins in Covert Township Park on Lake Michigan, they have a couple of rustic cabins, don't know anything about them.

http://www.covertpark.com/

5. Re: Lake Michigan Romantic Getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:16