We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

western side of state

michigan
Level Contributor
177 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
western side of state

Our vacation in Aug. will begin with a tiger game in Detroit and an overnight stay. From there taking I94 to Benton Harbor and then North with no plans other than what catches our eye. We have 5 days to just travel. What or where should we not miss? Thanks.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: western side of state

I love Ludington. I think it has some of the most beautiful beaches in the state. The city beach is wonderful, but the state park beaches are even better. You can park anywhere along the approach to the state park, climb over some sand dunes, and have a lovely beach all to yourself. In the state park, you can hike, canoe, or kayak. IMHO, the state park of Ludington is one of the best kept secrets of the state.

michigan
Level Contributor
177 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: western side of state

Thanks MissyMeg. Do you know if you can rent kayak's at the state park?

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: western side of state

Yes they do. You can rent them from the Cedar Camp store in the park. There are other boat and jet ski rentals in the area as well.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: western side of state

Love Ludington and I got reservations in July-I could not believe my eyes when I saw an opening in July on the reservation online page-I just could not believe it! This was in late April. I snapped that up faster than I could check the calendar! Been a few years since we'd been able to get in there, period. :)

michigan
Level Contributor
177 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: western side of state

we don't plan to do any camping but do like to explore the parks. How about any towns or places to eat along the way.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: western side of state

dunno about eats, but after ludington, drive another 1.5 hours, along the coast, and explore sleeping bear dunes. perhaps you can score a b&b or "resort" in the area... also, before you get to ludington, silver lake dunes is definitely worth a stop----nice hiking on the dunes. when you get in the middle of them, it's like you're transported to another continent.... there is a lot of lodging in silver lake and nearby hart....

michigan
Level Contributor
177 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: western side of state

thanks guys. Checking into Lundington sounds great.

8. Re: western side of state

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 08:17