We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe travels everyone!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Safe travels everyone!

To those of you heading north this weekend (or east or west or south!), please travel safely. The speeds on Michigan roads can be stellar but please take it easy so you and your loved ones can enjoy each other and all that Michigan has to offer for years to come.

I am once again here in New Jersey wishing I was Up North for the greatest 4th in the North. Alas, my time will come later this month!

Again, safe travels to all my Michigan forum friends! Moms

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe travels everyone!

Well, if the looonnnngggg back up headed north on 23 yesterday afternoon was any indication, much of southeastern Michigan has headed Up North by now!

Hopefully the weather cooperates for everyone's plans and safe, fun journeys are taken--with some trip reports popping up afterward!

We leave a week from tomorrow to bring daughter to her first camp (ballet at Hope College for 2 weeks). Husband and I will be camping at Van Buren SP, spending a couple nights in Saugatuck, and ending up in a VRBO house in Holland. We'll have our dog boy and our bikes along to keep us busy while she's honing her twinkle toes and staying in a dorm on campus.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe travels everyone!

My two oldest children drove from East Lansing to Ann Arbor last night and commented on the heavy traffic on US 23 North. My daughter said the traffic heading south wasn't exactly light either...she is the one who commented on the speed. Although the traffic heading south was heavy, it was moving at 80 mph with cars everywhere. Although we live in very congested NJ and traffic is heavy all the time, we are a bit intimidated by the speed of traffic in MI. In NJ there is too much traffic to move quickly. In MI there is a good amount of traffic that seems to move at the speed of light!

Enjoy your trip! Sounds very relaxing! Moms

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe travels everyone!

You're right--we Michiganders don't hesitate to speed along, though we are tame compared to our dear friends who live in southern California. Talk about white knuckle driving! 80 MPH with bumper to bumper traffic, 5 lanes in each direction, and freeways merging on the right and left constantly. Oh, and motorcycles sharing the lanes going 90-100 MPH so they are zipping along between cars. I love visiting our friends in S CA, but dang I'm so stressed out from the driving that I'm glad when it is time to leave!

I'm hoping our trip is both relaxing and busy so it helps the 2 weeks pass happily. Daughter is so excited about the ballet camp and I'm excited for her, but I'll miss her so much while she's there. It is the first time we'll be apart for this long and reminds me how fast she is growing up!

But on the up-side, husband and I love to bike and haven't done much of it since she got too big for the trail-a-bike so we'll be exploring bike trails in the area and planning some nice rides. Daughter is liking biking more now that she's on a full sized bike. It is hard work for a kid on a small bike to keep up with parents on their big bikes.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe travels everyone!

You will enjoy riding your bikes around South Haven, luv. Have fun on your upcoming trip, sounds like you have a nice variety of accommodations planned. I love Saugatuck, happy shopping. The boat ride on the river in Saugatuck is a nice activity. Consider it an early "empty nest" trial....lol. I hope your DD enjoys her ballet camp. :)

Moms-I-75 in Bay City was absolutely nuts yesterday afternoon....no surprise, but it always catches you a bit by surprise, if you know what I mean. I am heading up north on Tues morning to Charlevoix and catching the ferry to Beaver Island. :) Traffic should be all done by then......

5. Re: Safe travels everyone!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 17:19