We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in.…

5 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in.…

Family of 6. Ages of kids are 6, 5, 2, under 1. I want to take them on a nice vacation for Christmas but not sure where. We live in MI and it would have to be drivable. I want to do Fl but hubby thinks it's too long of a drive. Any other suggestions?? I think anything in Mi is going to be too cold for the baby to be along. Looking to leave around Dec. 23. Also looking for a good deal!!! :)

Oakland County...
Level Contributor
257 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in.…

If you plan on driving, I think Florida is definitely your best bet! There are so many condo & house rentals that would be a lot cheaper in the long run to rent, as opposed to staying at a hotel. You can plan on making the majority of your meals at the rental, several of the homes have a pool or if you chose to go the condo route, the majority will have a pool or few on site. Room for the kids (and you) to roam! It is a long drive for sure for young kids, but if you are looking for a warm place to go, Florida would be the best bet for driving from Michigan.

If you want to take a vacation closer to home, there are always the numerous indoor water parks. There are several within Michigan and Ohio.

Have fun and good luck with the planning.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
472 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in.…

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to play in the sand, walk the beach, do a little shopping... you might want to try Georgia or South Carolina. We've spent the past several spring breaks flipping back and forth between the Carolinas and Florida...

Northern Florida will be too cold to actually play in the ocean, as will the Carolinas. Southern Florida is questionable depending on the weather at the time. We've been to Fort Myers and Sanibal at Christmas when we spent the whole time playing in the ocean and years where we ended up buying sweatshirts for the whole family because it was too cold to go outside without them.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for... you might want to try French Lick Indiana's indoor waterpark, with stops at the Indianapolis Children's Museum, but that's still going to be in the 30s-40s for weather outside. Another idea is Tennessee... but it will also be in the 30s and 40s. Or, the older kids are at the age where going to Colonial Williamsburg would be AWESOME for christmas... they will be enchanted by the early american Christmas, which is totally done up to the 9s! But I'm not sure how the younger kids will handle it.

Which in fact gives me the suggestion of how about heading for WIlliamsburg, spending the 24th and 25th there and then heading down to Charleston... explore Kitty Hawk on the way down and end with a stay at a resort on the ocean in the Carolinas where the kids can play in the pool (and it will be in their down season, so not as expensive).

3. Re: Christmas in.…

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 23:17