We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

We took a quick trip up to Grayling and TC. We stopped in Clare and ate dinner at the Doherty Hotel. Well, it still looks the same after all these years. Service was good. Food average at best. Salad bar decent. I had a hot turkey sandwich and the salad bar and DH had the salad bar and Chicken Parmesan-which he rated "decent." Mine was okay...Prices a bit high IMOP.

Onto Grayling and Penrod Canoe Livery and Cabins. We did not take our own wooden canoe (made out of Western Red Cedar) this time, and rented one from Penrod's. It was $26, which included life jackets, cushions, and a seat back. We only did the 2.5 hour trip to Burton's Landing. Hardly any traffic on the river; that was very nice. But of course, we flipped the canoe going between deadfall-but we didn't lose anything-all bottles, flip flops, hats etc accounted for. Thank goodness. We will never again rent a canoe; we will take our own. LOL.

The cabins at Penrods are quite rustic-they were built in the 30's and 50's. We had a double bed in ours, nice bathroom, ancient kitchen combo stovetop/frig (never seen one before), great TV reception, good bedding and towels, no A/C (that was OK), they provide a fan and we put that in the window, cooled things off quickly. Place was spotless. It was nice sitting outside watching others use the river before we got going.

They provide a picnic table, charcoal grill and 2 chairs outside each cabin. There are also 2 decks next to the river with wooden swings, Adirondack chairs, benches, and other seating. You can fish or just watch the river babble on by. If it is a Saturday I am guessing it would not be a "quiet" place to sit and read and ponder. LOL. Large well maintained lawn area also, some large old trees nearer the cabins. Owner was very quiet but friendly. He lives on site. Everyone at the canoe livery was also friendly and helpful. Gosh, they even have computers now that show you certain areas of the river to avoid, directions etc. Good Lord. :) Bathrooms (with plugs..!), picnic area, tables, covered picnic area, vending machines, ice, pop etc. available.

Then a quick trip over to TC to eat dinner at Apache Trout Grille with friends for our anniversary. 1.5 hour wait-so we took a table on the outside deck right by the water and had some drinks (which were not good). Were seated about one hour later, good service as always. I had the Parmesan Whitefish and it was delicious and the DH had ribs-fantastic he says. Friend had the whitefish sandwich and tomato basil soup. All good. A very hopping place-they have remodeled and have beautiful doors now that open to the outside deck. As usual, parking extremely tight.

Quick and fun trip. :)

Edited: 20 August 2011, 18:47
Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

I'll have to recommend Penrod's to some relatives that are looking for a place like that. We've been kayaking the Manistee, several different sections and want to try some of the Au Sable.

I, too, like Apache Trout Grille but it's cut throat to get a parking space. I'll think we'll wait until fall.

Thanks for the report, especially about Penrod's.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Your welcome. We want to try the Manistee now...lol. Have you kayaked the Manistee out of Grayling? We have done different sections of the Au Sable, that one is pretty easy, but I do think they have too much deadfall in it. Have you done the Platte?

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Did the Platte years ago. Kind of slow. Hard to paddle out in the lake when you're going into a wind. A good place to do the Manistee is from Cameron Bridge, NW of Frederic, to M-72. We enjoy that. Very scenic. The Jordan is a fun river also. A little swifter and narrower.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

We were at Apache TG Tuesday or Wed night. Same hour and half wait and seated after an hour. We also had a table by the water but enjoyed a bottle of Chardonnay instead and it was lovely.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Rono, I am glad your Chardonnay was lovely; our Pena Colada and Margarita were really bad! Should have sent them back--by the time we had those two drinks with tax, and tip it was $20 almost....

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Well, I guess I've only been on the Lower Platte. I see the Upper is swifter and narrower. Might have to try it.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Yes, I have read that the Upper Platte is much narrower, tighter with a lot of turns and twists and deadfall in it, and is swifter. I like more placid-LOL! But I am sure it is challenging and would be fun to try! If you do, let me know. :)

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Sounds like a wonderful, relaxing trip. Happy Anniversary Tyme! Moms

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Thank you Moms. It was a nice relaxing trip. :)

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report-short-:)- Grayling and TC

Happy Anniversary and thank you for the report!

Any photos?