We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
927 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Okay, so I've read a bazillion posts re: St Joe vs S Haven, and now I need the help. My wife and I are looking for one night away (from Grand Haven, no less). I'd like a nice place to stay, hopefully within walking distance to some fun bars and restaurants (don't really want to drive after imbibing). So where should we stay and where should we visit?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

St Joe. Boulevard Inn. Right at the top of the bluff-you can sit on swings/benches overlooking Silver Beach. You are in a very nice hotel with a good restaurant. Silver Beach pizza/bar is below you-you can walk. The interactive water fountain/spray park, beach, etc is easily walked too, as well as downtown St Joe. Other than those two restaurants, I am not sure about others for recommendations. But I do know there are others within walking distance.

I hear there is a good bar in the large building on the corner driving down the hill into the Silver Beach Park. It is a nursing home/assisted living place now. But I have heard repeatedly that there is a nice bar upstairs???? Someone please confirm this!

South Haven-hmmm, I don't know of any hotels right in town or near the beach, so you can walk. Hopefully RONO will help with this. LOL.

Have fun!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
980 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Hmmmm, Sure don't know about any bar in the Whitcomb Nursing home. Maybe you have heard about Czars that is in /near the Building where Schu's restaurant is located one block closer to The Boulevard? Tyme has good ideas for you. Other food places I love are -- Schu's ( you can sit outside -- lake view on a nice eve) Pump House -- on State Street in the cute downtown area, Tim's Too -- one of those Aisian -- get a bowl full and they cook it in front of you, the Boulevard -- you can sit our on their deck over looking the lake too, Cafe Tosi's -- small place -- but great food. Down the road 2 miles, is El Cozumel next to the Holiday Inn Express -- great mexican and a great outdoor patio -- perfect for Margaritas and sunset watching. I hope you have a great time in St Joseph! ( or South Haven)

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
927 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Sounds like St. Joe should be the destination. A bar in a nursing home?!? Now there's an interesting idea :-) Thanks for your help.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

I swear a co-worker told me about that bar-I will have to ask her! Are you going this weekend, topfan?

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
927 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Nope, probably in a month or so. Kinda busy right now.

6. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 August 2011, 06:16
Edited: 28 August 2011, 06:16
Canton, Ohio...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

There is a nice bar upstairs but it is for residnts only. My great aunt Connie lived in the Whitcomb Tower Hotel that is currently an assisted living center.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Id pick st joe

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Well, I was hoping that RONO would chime in here, but I guess I will be the lone fan of South Haven. :-)

While we don't have any hotels downtown that rival the Boulevard in St. Joe, the Old Harbor Inn will do nicely if you're just planning on using it for a place to lay your head after a night of pub crawling or a day of relaxing on the beach AND you won't have to move your car once!

Ideal pub crawl: Start at York's, which is 'underneath' Old Harbor Inn, for a quick one, or if you prefer, hit the Channel Wine Bar which is adjacent to OHI, then hit the Idler for a South Haven Ice Tea while watching the boats go by.

From there, it's a quick jaunt over the Bridge to Capt. Lou's for a drink and more boat watching. After that, head up the 'hill' to Joe's for a burger and a beer, maybe a game of pool or you can sit up on the roof and watch the lake. After the roof sitting, head just down the block to the Thirsty Perch to cool off and catch your favorite sport on one of the many tv's. They just put in a new oyster bar (Tom showed me the pictures of it this past weekend).

From there it's off to Clem's for the obligatory "downtown" beverage. At this point, depending on when you started and how good of a "crawler" you are, you can either head down the block towards the lake and grab a quick drink at the Black River Tavern or head back towards OHI and visit Su Casa for a late night margarita and some chips/salsa/guacamole!!

You've pretty much made the "loop" now....you can either head to the beach along the riverwalk or head back to OHI and your pillow. :-) all that and you've probably not put in more than a mile and a half on your feet!

Don't forget to hit Captain Lou's for breakfast in the morning. The hash browns deluxe are YUMMY!

Enjoy your evening away from the 'other' Haven in whichever place you choose!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Joe or S Haven for a night?

Pssst Cold, I think Topfan went last summer, this is an old post. Your post was excellent however and maybe someone can still benefit from it. :-)