We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildfire smoke in UP??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Wildfire smoke in UP??

Earlier in the week, many parts of WI had smoke from that wildfire in Minnesota near the Boundary Waters. Yes, actual visible smoke plus the strong smell of smoke, including ash falling was as far south as Milwaukee. We thought there was a nearby far, who knew it was 300 miles away.

Have there been problems in the UP? I guess the fires been going for a while, but this Tuesday the conditions were right for it to hit Wisconsin. That created some very funny jokes regarding wind blowing and sucking and Minnesota, Chicago and Green Bay football teams. I'll let you write your own joke, but the Vikings and Bears were the butt of the jokes.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

No smoke here.

I hope you won't be afraid of the all the stars you will see at night.

Things are on medium low up here. Don't be in a hurry. Relax and have a good time.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

Here in the Keweenaw Peninsula there has been the odor of smoke from that fire earlier in the week. It's all gone now though.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

No smoke in the central yoop...

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

Earlier in the week we had smoke here in the Petoskey area, but just odor, nothing too problematic. I thought it was just a neighbor burning until I talked to friends miles away that mentioned the same thing.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

on tuesday, the haze and smoke odor was pretty thick down here in chicago. made some big news in these parts... people complained of the smell---i thought it smelled quite good....made me feel like i was up in the mountains!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

Wow, I can't believe it was that bad so far south. Incredible. We didn't see the haze so I was surprised to see it on the news from Milwaukee, we only had the smell. It appears to not be an issue anymore.

Cedarville, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

No problems in the Eastern UP

8. Re: Wildfire smoke in UP??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 01:18