We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WI to MI Part 3 More Munising

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
WI to MI Part 3 More Munising

Our first day in Munising was everything we had hoped. The Sunset Motel on the Bay was dandy, the fall colors were wonderful and we saw 7 waterfalls. Now for the hard part, trying to eat dinner. We knew Munising didn't have a lot of choices. We called the local golf course whose sign advertised a dining room, they weren't open evening meals. We didn't want to drive to Au Train so we decided to check out Johnny Dog's which I had gotten as a tip from another poster.

Well, it was just what we look for on vacation--one of those one-of-a-kind experiences with tasty food. We never knew why it worked like this, but to eat there, you go to the bar just north of it to order. They're connected by an outdoor seating area. The bartender took our order (we got our drinks from her) and then took it to Johnny Dog's. It was cash only, she brought our food back when it was ready. I had a terrific Cuban sandwich, but when I asked the bartender if they could hold the pickle, she was hesitant. "well, it depends on the kind of mood he's in...." Shades of the Seinfeld Show! We actually crossed over the deck to ask him and he said, fine no problem, the customer's always right! DH got a hot dog. But to call these "hot dogs" is like calling the Grand Canyon a ditch. The dogs and the buns were the base for the other foods that were piled on. So basically you got two sandwiches in one and both were totally delicious. There was an interesting article about the chef/owner previously working in Greenwich CT. It didn't offer any clues as to why he was now in Munising running his own show. The mystery just added to the fun. Whatever his background, he obviously knew how to make even the most humble food wonderfully prepared.

When we got back to the room that night, we tried to look for the Northern Lights or the Milky Way. One of the things I was looking forward to was seeing more stars than I'm used to back home in an urban area. No luck. We did see a glow over the water which we couldn't figure out, don't know if it were reflected like from Marquette or Grand Marais. It didn't seem to be the Aurora. The next day would be our only full day and we wanted to make the most of it.

Mentioned in this post
Munising
Munising
Upper Peninsula, MI
Sunset Motel on the Bay
Sunset Motel on the Bay
412 Reviews
Munising, MI
Marquette
Marquette
Upper Peninsula, MI
Grand Marais
Grand Marais
Minnesota
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WI to MI Part 3 More Munising

You wrote: "But to call these "hot dogs" is like calling the Grand Canyon a ditch."

What a great comparison-I love the GC/ditch.....good one! I have not been to this establishment (I think Jimmy was the one who went there?), but plan on remembering it for our next trip to the UP, which hopefully might be next summer, but this time we'd concentrate on the western end, but would include Marquette and the Keweenaw, too.

I am sorry you did not catch the northern lights or even a starry, starry night. :(

Mentioned in this post
Marquette
Marquette
Upper Peninsula, MI
Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WI to MI Part 3 More Munising

The northern lights are spectacular tonight in northern Michigan. You were just early.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WI to MI Part 3 More Munising

Great narration, FTG!

Makes me wish we had planned more time in Munising. Heck, makes me wish we had planned more time for the whole UP.

Keep it up.

Mentioned in this post
Munising
Munising
Upper Peninsula, MI
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WI to MI Part 3 More Munising

I'll put more info in the review of Johnny Dogs about the food. Jimmy, here comes more.

Mentioned in this post
Johnny Dogs
Johnny Dogs
499 Reviews
Munising, MI
5. Re: WI to MI Part 3 More Munising

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 16:16