We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Topic
A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

Well, actually I didn't think it was worth writing about, but maybe someone will benefit from it...lol.

We spent one night and one full day in Ann Arbor, in early October. This consisted of just my DH and myself. Main point of visit was an appt at U of M hospital, with the appt very early in the AM, so that would leave us the rest of the day. And yes, everything is fine and it was a very minor medical issue in the first place. :)

We wanted a hotel that was close to the hospital and we didn't want to spend a lot of money. I thought that would be a difficult thing to find in AA, but using my TA skills (J/K), I picked out a good hotel and got a great rate at that. We chose Microtel Inn and Suites, located on Plymouth Road. Easy access to the university hospital for sure. The rooms here are quite small; if you want "extra room-be it a chair, luggage storage, or room for kids jumping around," forget this hotel. We had a queen sized bed, a lovely full size windowseat to stretch out on, a small desk, a very comfortable desk chair, WIFI, and a decent bathroom. That is all we needed. The TV is older and sits way up on top of the wardrobe/closet, and you must use a remote to use it. It was very clean and the people working there very friendly and helpful. Only complaint I had was the fact of Housekeeping entering our room around 11 AM, where I was sound asleep, with a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I never heard a knock, but then, I was sleeping! When she realized I was in the bed sleeping, she never apologized, in fact, never said a word, just walked back out the door. NO reason for this to occur. We planned on staying until the noon checkout (another reason we picked out this hotel), and I had no plans on getting up until 11:45 AM....

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

We decided to have dinner at Gratzi, on Main Street in downtown AA. Another TA member recommended the place to me and I was very glad she did. Though this restaurant gets a wide variety of reviews, we had an excellent dinner here. We gave it a 5 rating. The service, decor, location and food were top notch in our book. I had the Penne con Pollo e Pumate-a chicken based pasta dish. My DH had the Orecchiette alla Rustica-a spicy, Italian sausage based pasta dish. For dessert, we shared the Crespelle di Cioccolato-a chocolate crepe filled with white chocolate mousse. We couldn't have had a nicer meal. I highly recommend the place.

Afterwards, we took a drive around downtown Ann Arbor, getting lost a few times, but you eventually come back to the same area. We also drove over to Ypsilanti, where we once lived, a millenia or so back. :)

After my doctor's appt, and we had checked out of our hotel, we headed for Zingermann's Deli for lunch. Ya know, you just can't beat this place. They have all the marks of excellence all over the place. We have been here a few times before, and we enjoy coming back very much. It is expensive for lunch but worth every darn dime. We had two of their 99 sandwiches you can get, and it comes with their famous pickle. We also bought bread and cheese. And to think we were going for ice cream later in the day at their Dairy Store!

After that, we walked all over Kerrytown, an older neighborhood in AA, right near Zingermann's. We loved the brick streets, historical but hip vibe, the bell tower that realized we were standing right there and began to play just for us ( ;) ), and the Farmer's Market! I didn't know the Farmer's Market would be open and was delighted to see such. Though it was much smaller than during the summer, we still got a couple of treats and enjoyed chatting up an artist and some of the other vendors. I would love to return in the summer, sometime. The shops in Kerrytown are quite eclectic and offer some interesting goods, some of which you might say, "What is that?" We saw two items and wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.....

Now a daytime ride around the university and downtown Ann Arbor and some neighborhoods off of Geddes Road, one of our very favorite drives way back when. Well, we had planned on parking and getting out and walking thru the Quadrangle at the university, but that was impossible, since there is nowhere to park. Though we did a circle tour via street, twice, around the Quad, the only thing we encountered was people, walking right in front of your car, at cross walks, corners and in the middle of the street! They never even look up or at traffic. They do not stop at all! I guess they are invincible! Off to Geddes Road, enjoyed some lovely neighborhoods (one van followed us thru the curvy streets, I think they thought we were casing the place). We went down to park near the Huron River and took a short stroll right next to it on the lovely paths they have built for such use. Very nice. Seen: geese, ducks, squirrels, one hawk.

We decided, regrettably, to skip the Diary Store and head over to Hell. The drive up to Hell (I said UP, not DOWN-LOL) is a scenic one, lots of farmland, meadows, trees and well, lots of new housing and suburban sprawl. We stopped at Screams Ice Cream/Halloween Store and got a great ice cream (Hershey's) cone and managed to spend some $$ on Halloween decorations. I knew that would happen, so was prepared for it. The DH knew this, too, of course. We enjoyed talking to the owner, and though I did not ask, I am thinking it has new owners. They have improved the place quite a bit, added a putt-putt golf course, some new games out back, more picnic tables etc. You can also visit the convenience store, where there is an official US Post Office counter. You can mail anything from here, and they postmark it Hell, MI. From what I understand, it is quite popular to mail certain things from here, such as child support checks, divorce correspondence, bills, and such, because they will "slightly burn/singe" the outer edges of the envelope for you, by request. I was told that by the person working there. They also have some cute postcards that you can mail from there-such as-"When Hell freezes over..."

And that concludes my short trip report. Maybe I instill the suggestion to a new visitor to go to Hell! :)

1. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 October 2011, 17:10
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

Well, the links above did not highlight and post, so sorry about that. I have tried a few times, but they continue to not post!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

Sounds like a fun time, minus the doctor's appointment and the clueless housekeeper. I didn't know they singe the edges at the Hell Post Office. That's worth the drive to catch someone's attention.

Saturday farmer's market is amazing--so much stuff, so many vendors. They have a guy who does a fabulous job sharpening knives.

I do believe UM pedestrians think they have a force field that prevents cars from squashing them. No eye contact or anything as they step out in front of your car. An easy way to stroll campus when students are around is park for free at the commuter lot on Plymouth Road and 23 and take the AATA bus onto campus and back. Zero chance of thumping one of the pedestrians and no parking hassles.

I know just the neighborhood you're referring to off Geddes. That is a beautiful area. In the spring there are a bunch of redbud trees that are so beautiful to see. I drive out of my way to use Geddes in the spring. I almost wiped out a coyote right in that area this past April. I was so glad I could miss it, but maybe the local homeowners with little dogs wouldn't have minded me whacking it!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

Thanks for the great TR, Tyme. While I am a Spartan through and through, I do love the city of Ann Arbor. My husband grew up there and my beloved mother-in-law still lives there. WE visit often. I love Zingerman's deli but my favorite is the smokehouse on Stadium. So delicious. Love the farmer's market too. Main Street is excellent. Next time you are there for the evening, stop by Vineology (sp?) for a glass of wine and plate of excellent cheese. So very nice. That area reminds me so much of a little Soho.

It is very interesting...my kids have spent so much time in East Lansing (my hometown) and Ann Arbor (my husband's hometown) that the college search for them has eliminated most schools that don't offer the same things as these towns/schools. By "things" I mean, great town with a big beautiful campus and a true community of its own. Yes, many a lovely smaller school has been passed by my gang. Can't say I blame them. There really is nothing like these schools or these towns! I am now calling college a late-teen all inclusive! So, so much to do....

As for clueless housekeepers, my favorite incident happened with a bellman. My husband had just flown the cross country flight from JFK to LAX. I went with him. When we landed my husband was pretty tired. We went to the hotel room and my husband promptly fell asleep while I read a book in bed. We forgot to deadbolt the door but the do not disturb tag was on the door. About an hour after my husband fell asleep, the room door was flung open by the bellman and a Japanese business man was shown into the room, his things were efficiently hung in the closet and the bellman turned to the man for a tip. This startled Japanese business man stood staring at us with his mouth wide open. The bellman then proceed to demand to know why we were in this room! Needless to say, the front desk eventually worked it out but it was quite a scene!

Travel always produces such interesting experiences, don't you think? Moms

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

OMG, Moms, I thought the maid interruption was bad. THAT was an "incident," for sure. I couldn't even imagine. Surprised the poor businessman didn't run out of the room. I hope they gave you some kind of discount, or heck, a free room!

You will be happy to know that DH and DS went to a Spartan game at MSU last Saturday, where they beat WI during the last second or so, being tied at 31-31. I watched it on TV and it was a very exciting finish to a great game played by both teams. DS is a real Spartan fan, through and through. We tend to cheer for Michigan....

I bet several of us here are placing bets with ourselves as to which college your daughter chooses. Which 3 is she applying for out East? She probably would be shocked to know we are anxious (well, I am) to learn where she attends. LOL. I am glad you visit your sweet M I L often; I miss mine in TX, a lot. She is also very sweet and a true Southern lady. :)

Edited: 26 October 2011, 01:44
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,997 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

Geddes Road and all of those curvy streets you enjoy so much are my old stomping grounds in Ann Arbor Hills. Growing up there was fabulous and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But I love the places that my life has taken me and wouldn't change those places or things either.

Meeting you and Bo along the way is a bonus.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

Thank you, RR. Back at ya'. :)

When we lived in Ypsi, we spent most of our time in AA. We loved the Geddes Rd area and spent many a time walking, biking, driving around and around those hills. I did some student teaching at a Co-Op nursery school (now called preschool..lol) in that neighborhood, in a very large, old home. It was magnificent. I also had a friend who was a student in our education class who lived in one of those old grand homes and she hated it, but she had us all over several times for an official class. Our professor loved history and architecture, so she was game for that. The girl's mother would provide a "formal" tea when we came, and we all loved it, the girl hated it, too. Strange young woman......

I loved ice skating (Bo watched....) on the river somewhere along there too, used to be a small park, but couldn't find the park when we visited a couple weeks ago.

When did you leave MI, RR?

8. Re: A quick trip to Ann Arbor, and you all knew I'd write a TR..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:16