We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

After the full day we had the day before, Escanaba to Marquette to Munising with all those waterfalls, it's hard to believe we still had more to enjoy. After a good night's sleep at Sunset Motel on the Bay, I ate my breakfast in as usual but DH went to Sydney's. He thought it was only OK. The plan was to take the afternoon cruise and see the last waterfall before that and more of Munising. Well, it doesn't take TOO long to see all of Munising, but now that we kind of had our bearings I wanted to check out more.

We walked over to our last waterfall, Tannery Falls. It's about a five minute walk past the highway from the hotel. We remembered seeing something along the road that appeared to be the path up into the woods and the waterfall. We knew that technically that wooded area had two falls in it and if you knew the way could go from one to the other. The day before we had seen the further East one, Memorial Falls. We met a local who said that it's actually rather tricky to get from one to the other and he recommended approaching it from the highway.

As we hiked up, only a moderately hike through woods and an incline we were glad to have sun to fully appreciate the fall colors. Up until now we had some clouds, fog and drizzle. The area reminded me of the line "forest primeval", beautiful.

What WASN'T quite so beautiful was what we noticed as we were walking along the narrow path--one side rocky cliff, the other side ravine with a creek below. I didn't say anything to DH right away, but after about 5 minutes, and the next time I saw it, I had to ask.

"Hey, did you see those marks in the trail" "yeah" "Do you think those are what I think those are". "Yeah, they look like bear claw scratches, don't they?" Now folks, we're actually big city people originally and as exciting as this sounded, it wasn't what we REALLY wanted to meet up with. What we saw appeared to be long claw marks, as if it were a running bear, digging into the soft trail. This was at several points on the narrow trail. Hmm. There was only one thing to do, as we had no bear bells with us.

For those of you who were Girl Scouts, remember that old song, it's a repeat-after-me one. "The other day (the other day), I saw a bear (etc.) A great big bear (etc) a WAY up there"...yes, there we were, singing at the top of our lungs, hoping that no one or no bear would find us!! After all 7 verses, we were a bit out of breath, but there was no bear sighting so I guess it worked.

It could have been anti-climactic once we saw the falls, but it wasn't. They were really beautiful, very high falling into a large grotto. It was a big tricky/slippery getting down into the water area, but we managed. DH even walked behind the falls as I took video. It was a bit unnerving for me, as the area was very much like a large cave (also known as a bear den) but no-one was at home. I climbed past that area to where there was another path on the opposite side. I was curious as to where it led, but we had to turn around.

Now we were heading back to where we had been a bit nervous about "visitors" so what did we do now?? Time for "Sound of Music"! Yes, one verse of "The Lonely Goatherd" and one of "Climb Every Mountain". We did pause a bit when we heard voice in the distance. Ahem. In case you wondered, no neither of us were ever mistaken for professional singers.

As we came out of the woods and headed back to the hotel, we realized, again, we had taken the hard way up and that we missed the stairs and the level trail to get to the waterfall. Oh well, we would have missed all our fun. We got the car and went back for another look at Wagner Falls, I wanted to have one last looking, knowing there wouldn't be time later that day or the next. It was possibly my favorite of them all.

Stay tuned.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

I am going to write-great info, F T-though I haven't read it yet. LOL. I just wanted to be the first to respond, plus, right at the same time you posted it. :)

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

Great post, F T. Loved the bear claws, the singing, the cave joke, and the fact you got to see the waterfall (s). I wasn't impressed with Sydney's either, just average.....gotta have one of them hot dogs next we are up that way. :) More, more, more, more.....

I also saw your nice post on the UT forum about the meetup. Glad you mentioned the MI forum on it. I bet not one of them go looking for us on the MI forum...lol.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

Aw come on, I bet Alex will!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

Too funny, the singing. I remember the old Parent Trap movie where they had that poor lady banging sticks together as she walked. They should of had her sing The Sound of Music. Can't wait to get up to that part of the UP next summer as I haven't been up there in forever.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

So what do you guys think? DH has spent time Up Nort, and we both felt those were from bear. Picture four long scratches, about the same width as your own hand. The marks were about 3" long, as if you had taken a fork or rake into soft soil. We tried to take some pictures but they didn't turn out too well. I think there were 4 of the marks.

Anyone else see those two waterfalls? I'd like to try and post some pictures, but I really have trouble doing that.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

I have not seen those waterfalls. YOU have seen way more waterfalls in the UP than I ever have. LOL!

Yes, totally believe those would be bear claw marks. I have seen them on the trees near TQ Falls and in the Houghton area. I spent a lot of time in the UP camping with my family (my childhood family); we went every other weekend camping from late April to late October and at least two weeks in the summer. And I spent some time visiting friends that attended college up there, too, and we spent a lot of time out in the woods, snowshoeing, skiing, hiking etc. So, yes, sounds like bear claws to me. But those bears in the UP, would 99.9% of the time, run if they even began to hear you, I am guessing. :) Maybe....

Edited: 28 October 2011, 15:30
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

I agree with tyme--those were bear claws. It easily could have been running down the path to get away from you. Michigan's black bears in general are not brave souls--they would rather never encounter a human and will take great measures to avoid them. The only problem bear is one habituated to people as food sources. They aren't looking to attack, they're looking for a snack. The problem comes when there's no snack available.

tyme--your childhood sounds fun. My family spent the time driving to the Keeweenaw to see my mom's family which was nice and important, but staying at grandma's house and never exploring other areas was a bummer. Thank goodness for Girl Scouts--that's where I learned to camp!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

Oh, then if we get together we can sing The Bear Song, and Make New Friends and Tongo??

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

Well, at least you and Luv2 will be able to sing some songs together. Me, well, I know Make New Friends, but Tongo/The Bear Song---ahh, no. However, the Bear Song is starting to sound a bit familiar, so I am sure you could start and get me to sing-a-long, I could always fake it. :)

Are you part Finnish, Luv2? A good friend of mine went to Tech. Enjoy (ed) it up there very much. In fact, DH and I went to visit my friend while we were dating, departing from our university in TX, stopping in Chicago, and then driving thru WI (I waved at you F T even back then...lol), to Houghton. They had 350 inches of snow that year. When DH got there and called Mom to tell her he had made it up there, and he told her there was 350 inches of snow that year and most of it was still on the ground, she told him she never would have let him go if she had known. My response: How old are you?? LOL.

The Parent Trap movie-one of our favorites, northernite. We watch it all the time, both versions. Good, clean, funny movie. We have thought of that movie while camping more than a few times.

10. Re: WI to MI Part 4 Full day in Munising AM report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 04:18