We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation with mom...Where to go in the spring time?

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
Vacation with mom...Where to go in the spring time?

My sisters and I (in our 30's) are planning a trip to Michigan with our mother (60 y/old) We are coming from the Northwest suburbs of Chicago and would like to drive somewhere (1-3 hours away) in Michigan with pretty scenery in April or May. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice place to stay for a day or two? Cottage or condo to rent?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation with mom...Where to go in the spring time?

I would shoot for early May, so you could attend the Tulip Festival in Holland. I am sure all of you would enjoy the many festivities and attractions they have.

You could also visit both South Haven and Saugatuck during your visit. Fun, eclectic shopping in Saugatuck, great restaurants, beaches to walk along and to catch some sunsets. SH has some nice shopping, too and a very accessible beach right in town. do you want suggestions for hotels at all, or just cottage rentals?

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
957 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation with mom...Where to go in the spring time?

Tyme has a very good suggestion, but housing around Tulip Time, whether hotels or condo, will be very tough to find. I'd recommend Saugatuck, but start looking for a place to stay right now.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation with mom...Where to go in the spring time?

The only area in Michigan that is 2-3 hours from the Northwest suburbs is Harbor Country, MI. You can find detailed info here:

harborcountry.com

harborcountry.org

visitharborcountry.org

We go to this area several times a year with groups ranging in age and interests and everyone always has a great time.

You'll find antique stores, cute towns, wine tastings...you name it.

There are an abundance of cottages for rent.

The sites above should help. If you want more specific info after reviewing them and/or input on specific things to do/places to stay, feel free to message me directly.

It's a great area...check it out!

4. Re: Vacation with mom...Where to go in the spring time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 04:18