We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Third Coast readers...

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Third Coast readers...

Everyone have the book?

Anyone else completed it?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Third Coast readers...

Nope but I have:

Guardians of the Eighth Sea: A History of the U.S. Coast Guard on the Great Lakes

Think I prefer 8th sea to 3rd coast.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Third Coast readers...

Thanks for the comment about The Eighth Sea, BB.

I'll put it on my request list.

Did someone tip you about The Third Coast?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Third Coast readers...

I have it and am reading it. About on Chapter 11. :)

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Third Coast readers...

Wish I had heard about The Eighth Sea before I posted my Christmas wish list!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Third Coast readers...

OK, I'm embarrassed to say that I checked it out of our library and read only the first chapter and then had to take it back. Just have been too busy... I want to check it out again.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Third Coast readers...

This is a tough time of year to carve out time to read, for sure! I've read it in the fall and will check it out again when everyone is ready to talk about it.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Third Coast readers...

Probably be after the first of the year, for our book discussion, don't you all think? I am reading it, albeit slowly. Too busy too for much reading. I plan on sending my copy back to Benzonia, just in case there is some reader up that way that is dying to get the copy.... ;) and then I will get someone to check out a local copy for me. I do like the book and I do enjoy reading about the places I have been and there is some interesting facts/info in the book. Sort of like reading a documentary, more than a reading a book for pleasure...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Third Coast readers...

Jimmy thanks for getting a thread going. I was wondering how things have been going with the book, but what with those 2000 cookies I'm baking I've only gone to forums I've gotten updates one. I finally had a chance to check the MI forum and found this. I really meant to check out the book again, but haven't gotten back to the library lately. T&N are right, bad time to try and get a book read. I sure hope we can have a discussion of sorts after the New Year.

BB, I have to see if the library has it, Lighthouse, who says you can't add to a Christmas list? Go for it.

Hey, you guys getting lots of snow? It looked like it on our weather. We got a big surprise and SE WI woke up to snow! Anywhere from 1/2 to 2". The "experts" told us yesterday there'd be no snow for Christmas! It will be gone in the next day or two, but it was nice to see.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Third Coast readers...

Busy time of year that's for sure. Sounds like we'll have our discussion after the holidays. Of course, I'll be in Florida :) so I'll have to purchase a copy to take down with me as I doubt their library will have one down there.

It sure is pretty out. We got about 3" but that's it. Not enough for snowmobilers or cross country but the ski hills have been able to make a lot of snow. I read a chart that showed our area has had the least amount of snow to start the winter in recorded history!!! We're down 28 inches so far.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Third Coast readers...

No snow here and so far none predicted for Christmas. :o(

Hey Jimmy--tell your wife I completely agree with her assessment of Sharkey's French onion soup. I had a few hours to kill yesterday since daughter had to be in Grosse Ile very early for dress rehearsal so I had lunch and hung out in a corner reading at Sharkey's. Excellent soup! And excellent homemade chips called chippers--those things would be addictive if I lived closer.

Northernite--I'll check out the book from a Michigan library and bring it to you in Florida. Then I'll hang out on the beach waiting for you to finish reading it and bring it back. Selfless of me, I know. ;o)