We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

My family and I are thinking about going to the upper peninsula this July, heading to Pictured Rocks and some of the other attractions (water falls, etc.).

But it is a long drive for us (from Tennessee), and we are now thinking we would be best to delay the trip until the fall, because we hear UP is amazing at that time of the year.

Would you rather see the upper peninsula in the summer or fall?

Thanks!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

What time in the fall were you thinking of?

The fall is nice in the UP with all the colors but you have to pick the right few weeks to see the best colors and picking these weeks is any ones guess.

Depending on the fall dates you may find this time of year not as busy but the July date maybe better for having things open.

I like both summer and fall.

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

I suppose I would come late September/early October -- whenever the normal peak is.

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

I suppose I would come late September/early October -- whenever the normal peak is.

Also, what do you mean by things being open?

Thanks!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

Some small tourist shops and attractions close in the fall and are not open year round.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

That is a hard decision! I'd shoot for summer, that way you won't miss anything due to possible seasonal closure as Yooper states. Though it could very well be hot, there is a decent chance you will get some heat relief from your usual high temps in TN, in July! Let us know what you decide.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

It's hard to beat the UP when the colors change, but when that happens is near impossible to plan a trip around. If you left yourself some flexibility to go to where the colors are (peak time will gradually head south), yet still see some of the sights you really want to see, then it can be a great time to visit in the fall. Days & nights will be cooler (jacket weather), and if it happens to get cool quickly the peak colors will move south quickly as well. As mentioned there's some places you can't go after Labor Day, but the big places you likely want to see would be open.

I agree with Tyme... visit in the summer unless you have a lot of flexibility for Fall in order to see any color (besides green or brown). The temps are warmer in July, giving you some possible beach time, and sunsets are beautiful.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

A friend told me the bugs are really bad in july

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

The bugs are around when it is wet and cool, like most places.

By the time you get to July it is usually warmer and dry.

Another thing about the UP is the length of the day. It stays light out much longer up here.

Last year on July 15th the sunrise was at 6:12 am and set at 9:38 pm.

On Sept. 30th the sunrise was at 7:46 am and set at 7:31 pm.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 19:27
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

I'd say just come when you want to or when it is easiest for you--you can't lose either way. Come whenever you can stay the longest because you'll find that there's more to do in either season than you ever expected!

Summer is great for the reasons listed, but if fall peaks your interest come then. The crisp nights and whatever color is present will give you a very different feeling than the long, green days of summer. The Pictured Rocks boat tour operates into October and waterfalls never close!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pictured Rocks and UP -- go in summer or fall?

agree with #9....any time of the year is a great time to visit the yoop.... but i will say this: fall is probably the most spectacular time to visit----it will rival any of the fall colors destinations out east.......