We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour around Lake Michigan

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Tour around Lake Michigan

We are intending to take a short trip around some of Lake Michigan, starting from and returning to Chicago, but we only have 7 nights!

Any tips on how much we can or should do within our time frame? We do not want to drive all the time, and don't mind not doing it all as we intend to return back another time!

Tips on car hire and accommodation would also be greatly appreciated.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour around Lake Michigan

Responding to your previous post, i have my own car in Chicago but i always use hotwire.com for car rentals, they have great prices, compare downtown prices with airport prices although it will add two hours to your trip to pick up at the airport

You need to look at all the suggested towns and pick two or three that interest you

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour around Lake Michigan

you can do half the lake if you take this:

http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

but, like i said in my previous post, a year ago, 7 days is plenty of time to tour around lake michigan...but yes, you will be driving a fair amount....

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour around Lake Michigan

You will quickly drive thru Indiana and enter the southern part of Michigan the fruit farms and wineries. Stop at a few. Grand Rapids is a nice stop the Meijer Sculpture garden will take 2-3 hours there is the Gerald Ford Presidential library that can be seen in 1-2 hours if you have any interest in our political history.

Further north is the Ludington area take a Sand dune buggy ride . The 3 lighthouses in the area can be climbed or at least photographed. little Sable , Ludington pier and Big Sable. You can walk for miles along the beach there at Big Sable. Be there at sunset. In the area take a quick peak at the world's largest weathervane. Go north to the Traverse city area.use this as a base for a couple days to explore sleeping bear dunes. The fish town at Leland. The state parks and wineries In the traverse city area. A dayandnight on Makinac Island.

Leaving there drive thru the upper peninsula stopping at Taquehemenon Falls and then on to Pictured Rocks. Stay the night there . Next stop would be green bay WI . And final stop in Milwaukee. With visit to the Hralry Davidson motorcycle museum and stour of the huge Miller Brewery. On drive back to Chicago stop in Wilmette Illinois and see the Bahai Tmple and architectural masterpiece

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour around Lake Michigan

Wow, Gwenbry, thank a million for this. Sounds like a good itinerary, we shall plan our holiday now and use your suggestions. Many thanks.

5. Re: Tour around Lake Michigan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:16