We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

My family and I will be in the Boyne City area for the Fourth of July holiday. From what I can tell, a number of nearby towns will present firework displays that evening.

Can anyone chime in with what they feel are the best fireworks between Boyne City, Petoskey, Harbor Springs or any other towns I may have missed? I have young children, so any pre-dark ancillary activities are important, too.

Thanks for the input!

Josh

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

Boyne City, has a wonderful day of activities and fireworks planned for the 4th. Lots to do for the kids too. boynechamber.com/Annual-Events/4th-july-fest…

Petoskey also has activities, parade and fireworks, but if you're closer to Boyne City, I would go there.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 13:40
Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

Thanks for the reply. But what about the fireworks themselves?

Are any of the city's displays notably different than the others?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,997 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

The parade in Harbor Springs is one of my all time favorite events and a showcase of small town Americana. The nature of the town and some of the wealthy residents includes a large number or classic antique vehicles. There are scores of them in the parade every year. People reserve their spaces on the sidewalks the night before the 4th. The boat parade in the evening is another sight to behold. An impressive fleet of classic yachts can be observed from the shore or the bay. I've been privileged to be a part of the boat parade any times through the years.

Fireworks are launched from a barge in Little Traverse Bay. More fireworks can be seen across the bay at Petoskey. Best viewing would be from a boat in the water, but anywhere on shore or on the bluff works too.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

http://michiganfireworks.com/

I concur with the Petoskey / Harbor Springs recommendation. There are many places to watch from where you can see both displays.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

Does Horton Bay still have its quirky little parade on the 4th?

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

In my perfect world I spend every 4th of July in Boyne City Michigan. There is the fun run in the morning followed by the sweet, lovely local parade (I love the kids on decorated bicycles). I would then spend time touring the art fair in the park. I would have lunch at Cafe Sante then take a boat ride (if one of the schooners is offering them again this year). I would not miss the rubber duckie race down the Boyne River. I would have a barbeque dinner at my cottage then head to town for the wonderful fireworks spectacular.

Nothing says the 4th of July to me more than Boyne City (and I live right outside Philadelphia where the 4th of July began and is celebrated for two full weeks!) Moms

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

Great idea, Moms. I might just take up your perfect world for a 4th of July. I am debating between BC now and Harbor Springs. Coin toss? ;)

Edited: 27 June 2012, 01:08
Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

I think Boyne City is one of the coolest towns in Michigan. Lots going on, new buildings, businesses, activities and right on the lake. I agree with moms for the 4th. Especially nice for families.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

Hey, N, can you recommend a motel near BC? I have tried Boyne City Motel but sold out.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best July 4th fireworks in Northern Michigan?

Tyme: You may want to try some of the chain hotels in Petoskey or even a room at Boyne Mountain. The Walloon Lake Inn B and B may also work. In Boyne City the Waterstreet Inn may have some rooms available. Good luck, Tyme! I so wish I could be there this year! Moms