We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping comparable to Frankenmuth

Olivet, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping comparable to Frankenmuth

My girlfriends and I have been going to Frankenmuth almost every November for about 10 years and are thinking of changing things up a bit. I visited Saugatuck this weekend to see if the shopping was comparable to what we like and found it to be a bit.....too fancy? While there were some shops that had some wonderful items, overall, it was geared more towards the arts (which I was aware of) and had more upscale clothing stores that I expected. We then popped up to Grand Haven and I was surprised at the lack of shops there! I guess I was expecting something more like Saugatuck, but it would seem that GH is more of a boating community than a place people go to shop.

All that being said, I'm hoping for some suggestions on where to go. I think we've been spoiled by Frankenmuth and their variety and quantity of shops and was hoping that there were other towns in Michigan that were similar. We have been to Traverse City, Petoskey and Mackinaw City and, while those are fantastic places to shop, they are further than we want to drive as we're in the lower half of the L.P. Plus, with it being November, the more north we are, the larger chance we have of getting hit with a snow storm. We had that happen a few years ago when we went to TC....it was definitely not fun!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Mentioned in this post
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping comparable to Frankenmuth

Are you looking for outlets or quaint town center shops or both? If outlets aren't the issue, Ann Arbor comes to mind. Great little shops in a great downtown area. Wonderful restaurants, Zingerman's included, and, if you want outlets you could travel to Howell. Just a thought....Moms

Mentioned in this post
Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor
Michigan
Howell
Howell
Michigan
2. Re: Shopping comparable to Frankenmuth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:17