We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

I know we had a big discussion about the best places to get pasties, so i thought this article about the best places to get ice cream in Michigan would be of interest, too. (And, yes, I've always loved House of Flavors...)

mlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/08/mi…

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

I have a new favorite ice cream in Michigan and it's "Moomers", made in Traverse City. In Gaylord, you can get this at Alpine Chocolate Haus. Wonderful place with homemade candy and caramel corn to go along with the ice cream.

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

While Arcadia Ice House doesn't make their own ice cream, it sure is a pretty little shop. The tin ceiling, the beautiful hand crafted bar, the wire cafe tables, etc. It is worth the stop if traveling M-22.

And I second Moomer's -- awesome ice cream while looking at the cow's from which it came!

Down in Wyoming, outside of Grand Rapids, is the Burlingame Dairy Dip on the corner of Burlingame and 36th street. It has one of the best Flurry menus I've ever encountered. And it is getting close to the time they make a Pumpkin Pie Flurry. YUMMO!

Indian River...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

Well it used to be London's Dairy Bar in Port Huron before they closed a decade or so ago.

Now it is Drost's Chocolate in Indian River.

However, my favorite ice cream flavor this year is Salted Carmel at Kilwins.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

I think Sherman's Dairy in South Haven should be on the list.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

Kilwin's! They have amazing ice cream and flavors. My favorites are the salted caramel, new orleans pralines and pistachio.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

I was actually thinking Dairy Mart in Indian River. It's the best soft serve in the state! Try the Chocolate Covered Cherry Avalanche, it has fresh cherries! To DIE for!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

Another vote for Sherman's ice cream from South AHven -- tho you can buy it other places.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

Moomer's, wherever you can get it! ;) !

N, glad you liked that ice cream!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

What I want to know is how I get a job like that?

I'm amazed no one suggested a visit to Calder Dairy's farm for ice cream! You can visit the cows that provide the milk for some MEGA delicious ice cream! Holstein Paradise is a new flavor (coconut ice cream with chocolate chips and almonds)--YUM!

We get our milk delivered from Calder's and they deliver ice cream on request. Best milk I've ever drank even though it is skim and amazing ice cream!!! Way better than the commercially made ice cream at Washtenaw Dairy!

http://www.calderdairy.com/ice-cream

And I second the MSU dairy store--that's good, house made ice cream too. And be sure to try chocolate cheese too!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best ice cream parlors in Michigan

Well, I for one am going to Calder's next time I'm down that way.