We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

I am almost always a Delta customer but looking at possibly flying Spirit due to much lower prices to Las Vegas.

Anyone use them recently? Good? Bad?

For a non-Spirit flyer what should I know?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

Never used them. Never will. The biggest reason is that they have no interline agreements with any other airline. If your flight gets cancelled, it could be days before they get you where you are going. They only have 50 aircraft so recovering from a mechanical issue may not be easy.

They also charge crazy add on fees, including for boarding passes, checked bags, carry-on bags, water, etc. Make sure you read all of the fine print and understand their fees if you do choose to book with them. That lower price you see is probably not any lower once you start adding in the fees, and the risk of being stranded is too high IMO.

Check out the airline forum for many (almost all negative) reviews of Spirit.

Cedarville, Michigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

40 percent of their revenue is from fees. They are raising carry-on fees as of November. Graduated cost is based on when you pay the fee. Do your research and beware.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

Eh, pay a little more up front and fly Delta. The planes used by Spirit are smaller and uncomfortable. The carry-on fee is higher than the checked bag fee and you pay for EVERYTHING used once you step foot on the aircraft. Having flown from DTW to LAS on both airlines, I will never again fly Spirit.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

Thanks...that's the info I was looking for...

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

I'll support everything everyone else said--a BIG NO to Spirit.

In addition to no inter-airline agreements, crazy add-on fees and all around low service standards, I can add that they are zero help if you have something stolen on their flight.

Against my better judgement, we flew Spirit to Las Vegas last June. It was a last minute trip to see a very sick friend so we didn't have many options. You don't have to pay if your bag fits under the seat in front of you so I had a weekender bag under the seat in front of me that I foolishly left my purse in. It was a red-eye home and I slept. At one point in the flight (I thought) the person in front of me kicked my bag out of his way, like I'd jammed some part of it into his foot space.

As soon as I got off the plane I realized that my purse had been opened and money stolen. I tried to get the gate agent to help me since I knew exactly who'd done it. No luck. I went to the ticketing area and asked for help, nope. I asked for a supervisor and was told none are available. I asked them to call the airport security, they said that was my responsibility, not theirs.

I called 911 and a sheriff came over to take a report. When he asked me what flight, he laughed when I answered Spirit. He said they would not do anything to help resolve the situation. He gave me the incident report and told me to forget about it.

I both emailed and snail mailed a letter to Spirit about the incident and never got a reply, even to say "tough luck".

Spirit is a ridiculous airline that only stays in business because people don't understand the fees they'll be charged and because casual travelers don't understand how bad it can be if something disrupts flights and you can't be bumped over to another airline. I know that isn't you 24fan, but I wanted to add my experience to the thread in case someone in the future comes looking for input about Spirit.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

Sorry about your theft issue, but I don't see what any airline could do in that situation. It is your word against an unknown stranger that a theft occurred. As far as the airline or police know, you could have lost all your money in Vegas and are trying to cover it up.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

I didn't expect anyone to tackle the guy on the spot, but you'd think an officer talking with him might make him think twice about doing it again and more importantly, I wanted some things back.

All I was initially asking the airline to do was check the trash in the plane (I know he went soon after my bag was moved) because he'd also stolen everything in the part of my purse where my money was, including photos I'd just gotten of my god daughters, some drawings they made me, and several work-related papers. All I was asking the sheriff to do was 1) check the trash in the bathroom immediately outside the gate we got off of for those same things and 2) follow up with the guy. I just wanted those things back and I'm sure he did not hold onto them. The cash was a very small amount and the one credit card I travel with wasn't in there, but those photos and papers were a real loss.

I think I could have gotten my stuff back if the gate agent or the sheriff would have helped me. The sheriff was initially very interested in the details of the situation, right until I said Spirit. Then he was totally done with me. With zero response from Spirit to my follow up letter/email, that's when I was totally done with Spirit.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

Luv2 sorry about your troubles. Doesn't sound very customer friendly.

I booked Delta...paid partially with miles and upgraded to first class...I am thinking we will be happier than trying to go cheaper with Spirit. Thanks for the replies.

9. Re: Spirit Airlines from DTW, anyone recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 13:19