We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels or B&Bs? Advantages/disadvantages?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels or B&Bs? Advantages/disadvantages?

I love to travel to Michigan (rarely Wisconsin) to take a break from my busy life in Chicago. I am especially fond of all the great beach towns along MI's western shore, from Harbor Country, north to South Haven and Saugatuck, even north to Petosky and Macinac Island.

I tend to book at hotels when traveling in my work, but for vacations (especially beach) I always stay at B&Bs. I am even trying to stay at B&Bs more now for work travel, as hotels just seem to get worse and worse, while B&Bs hold on to the hospitality ideals. B&Bs are also finally starting to have the work amenities I need, including wireless internet. And the non-smoking standard at B&Bs is especially appreciated by me. Locations and a sense of privacy always seems to be challenged for B&Bs though.

And the B&Bs either seem to be cheap/awful or pricey/fabulous, very little in-between.

If you read the hotel reviews vrs. the B&B reviews on TA, the hotels get the huge majority of bad reviews.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to get some opinions on the topic. Anyone have preferences...and why?

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels or B&Bs? Advantages/disadvantages?

While i've stayed in many B&B's & enjoyed them (especially the first few times it was great to expose my husband to "romantic" guys that tend to be at them) I probably prefer the privacy of the hotel.

I found that a lot of the B&B "deals" included things i wasn't interested in, while you can talk most hotels into a rock bottom no frills price if you work at it. Also as i'm on a special diet for health reasons i often can't enjoy those decadent breakfasts!!

I guess i'm usually all about the great deal, although I must say I did always enjoy the socialization and tips from the B& B owners.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels or B&Bs? Advantages/disadvantages?

My husband and I own a townhouse right on Water St. in Saugatuck that is run by a property management. Check it out - www.lakeshorelodging.com.

I am not trying to advertise our place as Lakeshore Lodging has many other options, but thought maybe this might be a nice alternative for you.

The townhouse has 3 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths, with many amenities such as a bbq grill, beach chairs, etc. water view and of course very close to everything.

Hope this helps. Good luck!