We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Badger Lives On.......

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
The Badger Lives On.......

good news.... the SS Badger appears to have survived the recent controversy and plans to sail next summer, which also happens to be its 60th anniversary....

www.ssbadger.com/content.aspx…

hopefully this thing will be resolved once and for all.....

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Badger Lives On.......

It hasn't survived yet. Because it is coal fired, it does not have a permit to continue and will not have one for months, if at all.

A preliminary decision on the permit is to be anounced on March 1, then there will be a public comment period before a permit is or is not issued.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Badger Lives On.......

my guess is either they will give LMC a variance and let them operate as-is, or they will give them an extension to retrofit the boat.... either way, i think something positive is definitely happening behind the scenes, as i don't think LMC would be that bold and announce the the sailing schedule with nothing definite....

if they continue to operate as-is, the historical integrity of the vessel will be maintained.... it's the last one like it, i say let it be...............

PS-they should retrofit the spartan to natural gas and do a run from waukegan, IL to benton harbor!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Badger Lives On.......

Hoping and praying they can keep chugging across the lake. I also say let it be..! They can't seem to leave some things alone. History means nothing to some people!

4. Re: The Badger Lives On.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 05:18