We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Traffic

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day Traffic

It is has been a generation since I was in Michigan on Memorial Day weekend. How bad is the traffic from Mackinaw City ot Grand Rapids on Memorial Day?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

It depends on which day you'll be driving. Thursday, Friday, and Monday will all be pretty busy. If you are travelling on Saturday or Sunday it shouldn't be too bad.

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

On Monday.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

We have found that the trick to traveling on the holiday weekend is to leave at the end of the day. Most people get up to get and early start to "beat the traffic" and instead are all on the road together. We used to leave in the evening and usually didn't hit all the traffic.

Of course, now that we have moved up here.. we love the last day of the holiday weekend. We celebrate that we don't have to "go home". We are already here!!!!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

We, too, have always left late in the day on any holiday-Memorial, 4th of July, Labor Day. Traffic is much better leaving from 'up north" around 5 or 6 PM. If you can do that, Light, it would be great. If you cannot, I'd get going really early. What time does your flight leave on Monday? Or do you fly out Tuesday?

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

4:30 on Monday.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

Its going to be busy! When we camped in Big Rapids and returned to Grand Rapids via US 131 on Monday, it never mattered when we travelled. It was always bumper to bumper & slow going. Its a 4 hour drive in normal traffic from Mackinac City to GRR. If it were me, I would leave as early as possible and know that it may take you a while to get back to the airport. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

I was afraid of that!

8. Re: Memorial Day Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 06:17