We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer vacation destination

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
summer vacation destination

We are trying to plan a family vacation for this summer for our young family (including my husband, myself, and our 4 young children ages 18mos - 7years). We are looking for a destination about 6 hours drive from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. We'd only be spending about 5 days, and would want a variety of activities to keep us busy and also relaxed. We prefer something a little off the beaten track (ie, probably not any major cities, unless there's a special reason). Any suggestions?

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
944 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer vacation destination

If you can stretch your drive to closer to 7 hours you'll find yourself on the west coast of Michigan, offering lots of towns along the coast that have great opportunities for young families. From St. Joe / South Haven stretching all the way up to the Traverse City area you can swim, beachcomb, hike, play in fountains, visit museums, eat ice cream, dine outside, have a campfire, camp in a tent... Get the idea? There are so many opportunities that west Michigan has to offer, I recommend starting here. Good luck with your plans and enjoy your vacation.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer vacation destination

If you're looking for the beach, a slower pace, etc... you might want to try Caseville / Port Huron / Harbor Beach. You'd spend the week sleeping, reading, on the water... sandy beaches. Not as glamourous or exciting as the west side of the state... but in your drive range, cheaper, still relaxing and fun. Plus,probably better for your kids. You'll putt putt golf, get ice cream, play on the beach, etc.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer vacation destination

Otherwise, try the Silver Lake / Pentwater / Ludington area.

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer vacation destination

I would point you towards the islands or Mackinac and beaver island. Mackinac island offers a bit more to do while beaver island is a bit more relaxed and inexpensive. Both islands have a car ferry service. Close to both boat docks are filled with things to explore as well in the small cities of charlevoix and mackinaw city. Imo if you want a slower pace with plenty to do head north.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
944 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: summer vacation destination

Beaver Island has a car ferry. No vehicles are allowed on Mackinac Island!

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer vacation destination

Yep yep mispoke thanks for catching it topfan!

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
826 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: summer vacation destination

I'll second Silver Lake for your children even though that is a bit longer drive than you requested..

Edited: 09 February 2013, 22:26
Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: summer vacation destination

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It looks like I have some research to do..LOL..at least I have a starting point now. Thanks again!

9. Re: summer vacation destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:16