We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

We're planning to drive between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie in June, stopping overnight at the Sault Sainte Marie end of I-75.

I'm just wondering if there are any "must do/see" things along the way that we might miss. Also, any suggestions of a nice, pretty place to stay would be appreciated. :)

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Outside of downtown Detroit's attractions, not much. You go from downtown to urban decay in the outer areas of the city, suburbia, industrial, farm land, more industrial and then you hit Port Huron. I believe there are a couple interesting restaurants in Port Huron and an outlet mall, but I have not done much up that way in years. It is only about an hour drive.

If you have extra time, the drive along Lake St. Claire can be nice. Just take Jefferson east. It will turn into Lakeshore drive in the Grosse Pointes, then back to Jefferson again. You will really experience the poorest to richest neighborhoods of Detroit. When you get around 16 Mile Road (aka Metro Parkway) hop on I-94 the rest of the way to Port Huron.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Not sure how Port Huron became part of the equation here unless you plan to cross into the US @ the Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing. Maybe I missed something in your original post?

If so and you are still headed to the Soo, I would just follow I-69 to I-75 and head north. The outlet mall in Port Huron is mostly closed.

If you are looking for outlet shopping Birch Run, noth of Flint on I-75 would be your best bet.

Depending on your time of year the drive from Flint to the Mackinac Bridge won't have a lot of highlights. There would be a bit more in the summer. If it is a spring/summer/fall trip a stop at Mackinaw City might be a nice break.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 17:14
North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Frankenmuth would be a nice stop. About 7 miles off I-75.

A side trip to Oscoda to drive the Scenic Byway along the Ausable River wouldn't be too far out of the way.

In Indian River you could stop and see the Cross In The Woods.

And of course don't miss seeing the Mackinac Bridge on your way, oh nevermind, you can't miss that. : )

Ashtabula, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

We are doing a similar drive and will be spending a day in Frankenmuth.

You have to stop there for a chicken dinner and the Xmas store.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Ignore my post above. My brain registered Sarnia in a coffee deprived state.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

It really depends on when you are making this drive. There are certain times of the year where different cities shine.

For instance, if you're timing it right, Bay City has the Tall Ships in town. It has a great little downtown area for shopping, and some delicious restuarants.

If you had time in the summer, you you could drive north along Lake Huron, stopping in Oscoda and Tawas to see the lakeshore, eventually pull into Mackinaw City, wander the shops that evening, get an ice cream cone, watch the boats.

You could also stop in Gaylord or Grayling for golfing, if you're a golfer.

If you want to go canoeing/tubing you could stop in Grayling or Indian River.

If it's winter, you can stop and sled or ski in numerous places up north.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

if you got the time, mackinac island is worth an afternoon....

also, if i'm not mistaken, isn't there some amish country along the way, near gaylord?

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Just back from the trip.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up not having much time but managed dinner in Frakenmuth. My son said it's the best dinner he's ever had...lol.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Amish near Grayling? There is a very small community 30 miles east of there, near Mio, but I don't think there is much for a tourist to see.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnighting between Detroit and Sault Sainte Marie

Well, glad your son enjoyed his F'muth dinner! What else did you see/do/eat on your trip? We love trip reports! Hope you had a nice time.