We are a family of 5 adults, taking a quick trip around Lake Michigan the first week in May. We are starting out in Chicago on Monday morning, May 6th and ending in northern Indiana late on Thursday, May 9th. After reading some forums, I have decided on the following itinerary:
Day 1 - drive to Pictured Rocks, see a few waterfalls and drive/hike around the area
Day 2 - drive to Soo Locks. Have lunch there, then head to Mackinac Island and stay overnight.
Day 3 - spend the morning at Mackinac Island, if needed, then head towards Traverse City, seeing sights along the way and check out Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Day 4 - drive on down to Indiana, stopping in Holland for the Tulip Festival on the way.
I realize that we won't have much time to do a whole lot, but we have never been to this area and see this as an exploritory trip for future trips to the area with more time later on. So, here are the questions:
- What waterfalls should/can we see at Pictured Rocks that are a quick walk?
- Should we skip the Soo Locks and head on over to Mac Island sooner? What do we absolutely need to do/see in Mac Island?
- I've been looking for a zipline tour for our family. We have never done one. Does anyone know of a good one that is open for the season during this time?
- What is the best driving route to see the sights traveling from Mac Island to TC? Is it best to stay in TC or somewhere else?
- Lastly, we will only have a few hours to take in the Tulip Festival. What are the things we should see or where should we go first to make the best of our time there?