We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

My friend and I will be staying in Chicago for a few nights then heading to Detroit for the first part of out USA and Canada vacation.

In between Chicago and Detroit we are keen to get away from the city life for 3 nights and was thinking of stopping off somewhere beachy and relaxing like Saugatuck, I heard its a lovely town.

I would appreciate any other suggestions for sights, towns/locations or activities we can do in between Chicago and Detroit.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

check out:

beachtowns.org

harborcountry.org

if you're purely into the beach scene, then st joseph or south haven will do very nicely (i would recommend grand haven, but it's a bit out of the way)... all three offer water sports rental outfitters and some bicycling opportunities, with st joe being the least of the 3.... also, i highly recommend st joe for families because it is very kid-friendly, so keep that in mind....

if you want romance and/or an artsy fartsy scene, then saugatuck fits the bill, but it isn't directly on the beach like the above towns.... it's more of a harbor town, with oval beach set a bit away (and across the river) from downtown....

if you want a more natural, northwoodsy kind of area, and close to high quality sand dunes (warren dunes state park) i would recommend union pier....

keep in mind, traffic permitting all of these towns, except GH, are within about 1 hour of each other, with grand haven only being about a half hour further north of saugatuck... so, you can stay in any one of these towns and easily do a day trips---all are worthy of visiting.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
989 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

Strange Tripper hit it square on the head! Keep in mind that depending on the time of year (summer), it will be busy, so do your research and get your reservations ASAP. Have a wonderful visit.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

Thank you both for your replys. Very useful info to help plan the vacation.

We will be visiting from 16-19 June. I wasnt going to book accommodation and wanted the flexibility of just turning up and see what's available. Is this a bad idea considering its the start of the summer?

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
989 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

In short, I recommend you make reservations in advance, particularly if you'll be staying in the beach towns. June through August are very busy!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

my guess is june would be a bit less crowded than july and august because, believe it or not, the weather can still be iffy in june, plus the Lake water temp will likely be a bit nippy, considering the relatively cool spring we've been having.... also, starting your visit to a beachtown on a sunday is good---many cottagers will be going home..... that being said, you could call some lodging places now and see how they're filling up.... if it's kinda slow, you could possibly wing it---check out the towns and see which one looks good to you.... my advice would be to leave early on sunday....

have fun!

PS--top, i wasn't trying to counter your post...i was typing at the same time you posted:-)

Edited: 29 May 2013, 00:38
Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
989 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

No problem, Strange. We're on the same page with advice :-)

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

Great info! Thank you both for taking the time out to reply!

8. Re: Chicago to Detroit - Lake Michigan stop off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 07:17