We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Destination with Water

J F
Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Destination with Water

I posted something similar to this earlier, but no one responded, so I'm trying again.

Basically, I'm looking for a town in MI that is approximately 3 hours away from Chicago (less time is fine, a little more is ok, too) and has lakes or beaches. I'd like to be able to book a hotel on or near the water, so my family and I can take part in aquatic activities.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses,

JF

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Destination with Water

Hello JF,

If you look at a map of Michigan and you see a town that looks like it fits what you are looking for you could then search that town on TripAdvisor and I believe you may find many of your questions answered.

If you get stuck and have a question just post again.

J F
Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Destination with Water

Ok. I'll try that.

Thank you very much for the response!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Destination with Water

According to google maps you could get as far north as Muskegon in 3 hours from Chicago. I think that's a bit optimistic since travel time is always a bit longer. That opens up St. Joseph, South Haven, Holland, and Grand Haven as options.

Since you are only coming for a few days that pretty much eliminates any rental houses since somewhere around 95% of them rent by the week in the summer. There is not a huge number of hotels/motels along the lakeshore that walk right out to the beach, but each town has a couple close by.

My suggestion would be to use Google maps, focusing on each town and use the "search nearby" for lodging choices. That way you can quickly see everything that is close to the lakeshore in each town. I would start with St. Joseph because it is close to you, has a fabulous beach, and is very kid-friendly.

Ludington, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Destination with Water

Ludington

michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Destination with Water

We found Saugatuck to be very interesting and loads of great beach fun.

6. Re: Travel Destination with Water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 07:18