We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

My husband and I are planning a road trip from St Paul, MN to New England beginning the end of Sept. We are looking for a route to avoid the larger cities when possible such as Chicago,etc.

We are interested in taking the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon. Any idea what the chances of cancellation are that time of year as far as the weather? I know, what a silly question. Looks like the policy is you get credit towards another trip.

The ferry arrives in Muskegon at 4:00 PM. Any idea how long it takes to unload?

Wondering where we should be thinking of looking for lodging?

Thank you for your help.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
945 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

As far as the weather goes in September, you don't have anything out of the ordinary to worry about. They don't cancel either the Muskegon OR the Ludington ferries very often.

Hopefully Greg will see this post and chime in for Muskegon lodging ideas. If for some reason he doesn't, consider the Grand Haven / Spring Lake areas for an alternate area to spend the night. It's only a few minutes south and is a beautiful area.

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
826 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

Anything to promote Muskegon,lol.

Yes, The Lake Expess will cancel if the waves are too large for your comfort and Sept./Oct. happens to be our month for largest rainfall totals on average so storms could be expected especially if the "gales of November come early". Sorry, i couldn't resisit.

But from what I have seen of the unloading proccess, it is rather fast.

There are some nice hotels in town and some to avoid.

Travelocity's top six are good with The Shoreline Inn being the best if you can score a good rate.

Now a little off topic, since this is a "road trip", any thoughts of taking a route through the Upper Peninsula and Canada?

More scenic and less worry about the ferry. : )

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

Thank you top fan and Greg for your help.

Greg, we have considered the UP and Canada as well as the ferry. Do you have suggestions? Per the map it looks like Sault Ste Marie & onto hwy 17 in Ontario, correct? Have read a little re Algonquin Prov Pk that sounds fun. Would appreciate a scenic route and suggestions where to "cross the border" back into the US. We have reservations in Stowe, VT on 9/27. Is it reasonable to allow 3 days to get to Stowe from St Paul?( 2 nights on the road)

Thanks to all for your help.

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
826 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

Having done some of that route only in two different trips around the Great Lakes, I would feel good suggesting this as a route to New England.

US2 to Canadian 17 at the Sault onto Vermont would be a nice trip.

Actually, Mapsource routes this exact trip at 1271 miles crossing back to the U.S. at Cornwall Island.

Biggest regret with this route would be all the sites you would not have time to stop and visit. : )

Taking the ferry at Muskegon gives you a three hour rest but a slow 80 miles timewise and at 1209 miles just a little shorter.,lol.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

lake express is more likely to cancel vs the badger because of heavy seas... badger is built for the great lakes; lake express is a lot of bling, but when it comes down to it, the badger all the way (plus it's cheaper)...

anyway, i recently posted a potential route for somebody with a similar trip to yours... check it out:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28943-i319-k66569…

and another one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42684-i1648-k6632…

i just realized you're the same OP. anyway, i'd probably opt to drive... conditions on the great lakes can be sketchy in the fall....

also, it can't hurt to post in the road trips forum!

Edited: 13 July 2013, 15:18
6. Re: Questions re ferry to Muskegon & lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19