We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

Hi, We will be in Ypsilanti, Mi for Jr. Olympics Track for a week. We have 1 entire day that we don't have to be at the meet, and 2 half days. Do you have any suggestions for activities during these times? I will have a 16 and 17 year old with me. Because they are competing, I probably don't want to drive more than 1-11/2 hours, so we are not out too late.

Thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

What time of year will you be here?

Ypsilanti is about 40 minutes from Downtown Detroit. Depending on when you'll be here, you could catch a Tiger game. Dearborn is a little closer than Detroit and a visit to The Henry (Greenfield Village / Henry Ford Museum) would be a fun day trip. A drive to Frankenmuth would take about an hour and a half. Birch Run, just south of Frankenmuth, has a huge outlet mall and Frankenmuth is a cute little "German" town filled with tourist shops.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

You might enjoy a trip to the Detroit Zoo, also. About an hour away, maybe a bit more. Royal Oak.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

What about swimming ? Just "down the road" from you is Rolling Hills Water Park ewashtenaw.org/government/…rhwaterpark.html

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

We drive in on Sunday and will be there until the following Sat.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into them.

Our schedule at the track meet doesn't work for seeing a baseball game, unfortunately.

I am thinking to spend Tuesday doing the Ford Museum and going to explore Detroit. Planning on the Motown Museum. Any thing else we should definitely see? Do you have any restaurant suggestions in Detroit. I would also like to take the kids (teenagers) to some kind of live music in the evening. Any clubs/bars that are all ages, safe, and connected to the local music scene?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

Ah, Detroit isn't like Philadelphia is all I'm going to say.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

Unfortunately, aside from city festivals, Detroit's local live music is pretty limited to bars / clubs that have minimum ages.

Depending on when you're here, Dearborn Homecoming (City of Dearborn's festival) and the Allen Park Street Fair will be going on the first weekend in August. Both offer free live music by local bands as well as food and the typical city festival rides / tents. Depending on how far you're willing to drive, check the schedule at the DTE Energy Music Theatre. It's a great outdoor concert venue and sometimes lawn seat tickets can be pretty cheap.

The Motown Museum is a great idea. If time permits, check out The Detroit Institute of Arts and Detroit Historical Museum. Both are located in Midtown Detroit. Between Downtown and Midtown is The Garden Bowl, the country's oldest bowling alley. It's filled with hipsters, but can be kid-friendly earlier in the evening.

As for restaurants, what types of food do you like? Any particular price range?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

Thanks, I will check all of that out.

As for restaurants: fairly inexpensive, locally owned. American, Italian, Thai, French, are all good. Any great local pizza?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

Ypsilanti- Ann Arbor both have many great restaurants. Can think of Haab's in Ypsilanti-there gotta be others and Ann Arbor is a great city to hang around in. I rather spend a few days around Yps-Ann Arbor vs Detroit.

Sure for events like concerts, ballgames you go to Detroit but yeah all the clubs are for those 21 and over.

People left Detroit and moved to places like Ann Arbor and that is where more family stuff is.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 00:31
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

My favorite Detroit based pizza is from Buddy's. They have multiple locations in the metro area so if you're traveling away from Ypsilanti for the day, you should stop at one of their restaurants.

www.buddyspizza.com

Dearborn has a large Middle Eastern population and is filled with great, locally owned restaurants. If you're into Middle Eastern food, check out the many great places to stop there.

10. Re: Day trip from Ypsilanti Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:16