We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

London,UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

HI-HAVE HAD A REPLY FROM ZED BUT WAS ADVISED TO POST ON HERE FOR MORE LOCAL INFO

We are thinking of doing a road trip round lake Michigan in 2 weeks rather than a 10 days trip to just Chicago

would it be feasible to stay in Chicago for 3-4 nights then do the tour around the lake and back to Chicago in 2 weeks in total

what is the weather typically like in June

is the great lakes region a lovely place to visit

what are the main towns we would need accommodation for in each of the points of interest on rough itinery?

Are any towns unsafe-which should we avoid -or definatley stay

been advised to stay in river north/ mag mile area of chicago

Thanks very much x

Lynne

ROUGH ITINERY

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore; Traverse City; Mackinaw City; Mackinac Island; Sault Ste. Marie; Tahquamenon Falls; Whitefish Point; Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore; Door County, Wisconsin (the little finger that sticks out into Lake Michigan); Milwaukee

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

Having done this trip in eight days, I would have loved to have more time.

I would add to your list for consideration: Sagautuck/South Haven,Holland,Silver Lake,Petoskey,Leland.

Weather in June can vary but early June is a great time to travel as schools are still in session. : )

Early Sept. would even be better.

"ROUGH ITINERY

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore; Traverse City; Mackinaw City; Mackinac Island; Sault Ste. Marie; Tahquamenon Falls; Whitefish Point; Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore; Door County, Wisconsin (the little finger that sticks out into Lake Michigan); Milwaukee"

Edited: 24 July 2013, 14:46
London,UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

Thanks x

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

Since you are making a loop around the whole lake then add Luddington State Park, Grand Haven, Holland, South Haven, and St Joseph to you list too as you head south. Each town has it's charm and highlights. All safe and beautiful. In June the lake water will still probably be cold for swimming, but there is still a lot of beauty to see! Check out www.sjtoday.org for St Joseph stuff,

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

I think two weeks would be perfect for a trip around Lake Michigan. We did it in nine days/eight nights without stopping in Chicago or Milwaukee, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/touring/lake…

But you realize that Pictured Rocks, Whitefish Point and Sault Ste. Marie are on Lake Superior, right? If you want to do all that, you're really going to have to rush.

My favorite time to do it is the third week in June, great weather but no crowds yet. There aren't really any unsafe towns (I assume you won't be stopping in Gary!).

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

with 2 weeks to play with, make chicago your portal point for the trip... spend 3-4 nites at the beginning of the trip, and spend the last nite here before you fly home.... DEFINITELY take the advice in post #4 and visit some sites in the U.P. of michigan.... pictured rocks and tahq falls are must-sees..... if you're into maritime history, check out the SOO and the museum at whitefish point...

read the TA article we put together in the road trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-c183176/United-S…

and here's a slide show of a road trip we did last summer....it covers some of the territory of your planned trip:

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-064d-4778-84f0…

London,UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

which Michigan beach town is best to stay in st joseph/ south haven/ Saugatuck-douglas/Holland/

gand haven or /Muskegon?

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

I would definitely choose Grand Haven over Muskegon for the walkability of the waterfront and downtown.

London,UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

over the other 4 as well ?

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

Probably . . . St. Joe would be my second choice for an overnight. All others are good day stops IMHO

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: America RoadTrip Chicago-Lake Michigan Loop June 2014 2weeks

I would pick St Joseph too. Tho if you want to get a bit further north, then Grand Haven. St Joseph and South Haven have better views/access to Lake Michigan. While I like Saugatuk and Holland, the lake is far away.