We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

i know this is a bit off topic, but i thought i'd share this trip report.

tripadvisor.com/…54971097

for the record, i prefer michigan beaches to the ones we visited in CR.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Thanks ST! I haven't read your reviews yet but the trip report gave me some ideas. We have some free Frontier Airline tickets and we thought we'd use them to go to CR. We're more resort type people and I wouldn't be inclined to rent a car but rather stay in one area. I'm curious as to which airline you used?

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

united.

we went thru houston, however, UAL has 1 direct flight out of chicago, once a week. it's on either sat or sunday.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

ST, we visited CR this past January and must agree, the beaches in Michigan are for the most part much nicer than in CR. However, the ones in Samara and Playa Carillo are close.

I'm surprised you were surprised by the car insurance issue and road signage. It is well documented on the CR TripAdvisor forum.

We flew GRR thru ATL to CR on Delta.

RONO, I know you guys prefer resorts, but the villa we rented was superb. Let me know if you want some info.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

check out the villa review i linked to my TR.

funny thing is, a guy in the CR forum mentioned the same thing about reading the CR forums in advance... my reply was i tend to give more advice than take it:-)

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

I used both these forums and Fodors before my trip to CR in 2008. The country was wonderul, but I didn't do the beaches at all.

The driving was something else, but it was also part of the adventure.

From my report:

"But the last 10 kilometers to Monteverde were like driving up a steep, dry river bed with rocks sticking out of the ground and large holes. On this stretch I never got out of first gear. But it was kind of fun, I discovered that I was grinning as I fought the way up the path. I've never named a car before, but I decided to name the Ignis I was driving, "Tortuga" after the horse I rode the day before. I shifted into first gear, called "On, Tortuga" and continued on."

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Lighthouselovertoo--OMG--the road to Monteverde is UNFORGETTABLE! As is Monteverde, but for completely different reasons!

I am straining my brain for the beach we went to in CR that was beyond amazing. White sand, turtles in the water, scarlet macaws in the trees, and coatimundis on the beach. If I can't remember, I'll ask our neighbors that we traveled with. Best beach of my entire life (I've been to several Caribbean Islands and all the major Hawaiian Islands). We did stay at a small resort there Rono. It wasn't upscale, but it was clean, quiet, and had great food. You might want to look at an in-country tour if driving yourself around isn't appealing. There are so many amazing places in CR. The area where the large resorts are located (or at leas the timeshare resorts) is probably the least interesting part of the country.

S_T--it sounds like your family had a great time! My family went in 2007 for 3 weeks. We traveled with Costa Rican neighbors and had a fantastic vacation. I would love to go back again.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report

we might have been on that road to monteverde-----after tinaran, we headed towards monteverde since the cheesy map had monteverde prominently shown on it, so i figured it would be a good road (up until then, all the roads were good between fortuna and just after tinaran).... but after a few miles on this bombed-out river stone road, we pulled into this restaurant that did trips to this scenic waterfall... can't remember the names of the place and falls, but the owner was very helpful getting me back on track!!! the road was very scenic, however.... if we weren't pushed for time in getting to dominical, it woulda been cool to explore that area....

8. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:18