We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor Activity Tour Company operating in the Great Lakes

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Outdoor Activity Tour Company operating in the Great Lakes

Hi there,

I am in need of some help:

My mother (50) and I (23) are travelling together this summer (June 2014) and we want to do a trip around the lakes (Lake Michigan, Huron and Superior- although we are not that fussy). We are looking for the trip to last around two weeks and perhaps even go into Canada. We were hoping to find a company that operated an outdoorsy trip, maybe some hiking, boats trips, kayaking, cycling, historic/cultural stops (mackinac/manitoulin islands) etc but I simply cannot find any. Does anyone know of any companies that run these sort of trips?

Any help with this would be great!

Thanks!

Lucy

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor Activity Tour Company operating in the Great Lakes

I am not aware of any company that handles all encompassing tours though I'll ask around to see if any friends/family know of an option like this. We did encounter a huge group of Chinese nationals in the U.P. a couple years ago, so there must be some tour companies that cater to international visitors.

There are activity-specific tours (like if you want to go kayaking on Lake Superior), but they don't provide a week's worth of logistical support just the outing.

Michigan is quite easy to get around and the planning is straightforward so I'd encourage you to do a self-guided tour. Members of this forum can help you put together an itinerary and find lodging.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor Activity Tour Company operating in the Great Lakes

I see the Chinese groups in the Keweenaw as well and I understand that they are from the Chicago area with a tour company from there.

I"m not aware of any tour operators that would do what you want either. I think you'd have to work out your own details. Sounds like a fun trip though.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor Activity Tour Company operating in the Great Lakes

There are companies that can arrange this, but you would have to have a large group already assembled. I don't believe there scheduled two week tours. Even if there were, I think it would be torture to have to be stuck on a bus with 50 strangers for that long being subjected to a fixed schedule. You will have a much more enjoyable trip if you research it yourself and pick the destinations you want to see.

You will pretty much need a car to do this. The only public transport options to the north are by bus and it would be a logistical nightmare to try to coordinate. Probably more expensive too.

I would start here: www.great-lakes.net/tourism/circletour/

More Michigan detail: michigan.org/road-trips/…

Once you have an idea of the cities you want to hit, start looking for flights and rental cars. Be sure to combine the two for a total price. It might be $200 cheaper to fly to Chicago vs. Detroit, but if their rental cars are $20/day more, your savings are gone. It is usually much cheaper to do a true circle and return the car to where you rented it. You can also save by renting from a neighborhood location vs. the airport.

Chicago (ORD) and Detroit (DTW) would be the two logical gateway cities since they have non-stops to London. Toronto (YYZ) would also work if you wanted to go that far east (Niagara Falls too). Any of the regional airports that would require an extra stop are probably going to be more expensive and definitely will be more hassle depending on your connection.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoor Activity Tour Company operating in the Great Lakes

It is a shame that Michigan Bicycle Touring folded. They offered packages similar to this as well as strickly bicycle tours.

I enjoyed the one which I did.

5. Re: Outdoor Activity Tour Company operating in the Great Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26