We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing into Canada

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing into Canada

Can you cross the Ambassador Bridge into Canada without a passport? A friend of mine that use to live in Michigan is coming from Alabama to visit her dying grandmother. She said she knows she can get into Canada without a passport I told her I didn't think she could, she should get an Inhanced license. She told me they don't have them in Alabama and she's not worried about crossing, she already talked to customs...but they did tell her she may have a problem coming back. Why would they even let her in knowing there's a possibility she can't get back into the states?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing into Canada

Is she a US or Canadian citizen? I'm assuming US. I believe that technically she may be correct that Canada has not formally changed regulations requiring a passport for entry, but the US does require it for entry. Canada can turn you away for that, or any other reason. Technically the US cannot bar a US citizen from entering their own country, but they can make your life miserable while they determine who you are. They can also fine you.

It is not worth the risk for the high probability that she will be denied entry, or the hassle if she is allowed in. She should at least get the passport card from the State Department. Typically only border states issue the enhanced DL, so it makes sense that Alabama does not.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing into Canada

According to the Customs and Border Protection factsheet (cbp.gov/linkhandler/…whti_state_factsheet.pdf) US and Canadian citizens are required to present a passport or trusted-traveler ID when entering the US by land after June 1, 2009.

As the above poster says, a US citizen cannot be denied re-entry, but without such documentation, it will be an unpleasant experience.

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
784 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing into Canada

Look in to the passport card if available in Alabama..

Much faster turn-around time and easier application process.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing into Canada

Evenif she gets turned around by Canada, she will still have all the problems with the US when she returns accross the Bridge. At the least, they may make her wait a few hours until they feel like handling things.

Rushing them to do something is like trying to rush the Department of Motor Vehicles, it will just make it slower.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing into Canada

Thanks for all the replies, I will pass this info on to her. She hasn't lived in Michigan in years and I'm thinking she thinks she can cross the border as easy as she did back in the 70's and 80's.

Tev, yes she is and always has been a US citizen. When she lived in the Detroit metro area years ago she would cross the border often to visit her grandmother in Windsor.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing into Canada

Definitely not the 70s or 80s, or 90s, or early 00s. We are a very paranoid country now.

She can get a passport card for $55 that will allow land and sea travel within North America.

…state.gov/content/…new.html

If her trip is soon, she can expedite it for an added fee. There is also a passport office in Detroit that can do same day passports, but you still have to pay the $60 expedite fee and she would need to be sure she had everything with her to make sure they could process the application. They say they require an appointment, but when I went to get my renewal it did not seem to matter. Probably took me an hour to get to get the three minutes of processing taken care of. I did not feel like waiting around until 3pm for them to print the passport, so I just had them mail it.

7. Re: Crossing into Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:19