We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

Level Contributor
1,435 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

I'm looking for a nice little town to spend a few days on the western side of Michigan, along the shore. If you could pick only one place, one that has some nice little cafes/restaurants, some shops, easy to stroll, possibly the "typical" shore experience....which one(s) would it be? Thanks.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

Saugatuck with no hesitation.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

Leland

Keith

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
452 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

I agree with Saugatuck, visited there last year and loved it.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

Grand Haven

Saugatuck

South Haven

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

Leland or Suttons Bay

Sagatauck is a nice town but not along the shore. Lake Michigan is over a large hill. I was so disappointed when we stayed there because I thought we would see the water as we shopped etc.

Leland has water, shops etc. I also like Suttons Bay which is on Lake Michigan in west Traverse Bay so the shore is on the east side of the town. Leland and Suttons Bay are only 15 minutes apart. Leland is probably bigger.

If you can go farther try Charlevoix. It has Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix.

Have fun!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

Its true Saugatuck is a harbor town. Built right on the water of the Kalamazoo River and a small lake. Dozens of quality restaurants, at least ten that I would compare to nicest of downtown Chicago. Many many shops, and yes the Oval beach is one of the best in Michigan. By the way my beach water temp today was 78, and I'm 15 miles south of Saugatuck.

I live in South Haven and its a great town, but you need to give Saugatuck its due. I could vote for Charlevoix, but its a long drive, and even Petosky, New Buffalo, Grand Haven. Leland and Suttons Bay are nice, been there dozens of times, but very small, lunch an hour shopping and you've done them, sorry that's MHO.

Fact is we're all going to say something different, you need to come many times and try them all , that way you'll know for sure : ) Dragoms and Lighthouselover aren't wrong they just disagree with me (my wife does sometimes also) Pick one any one and you'll love it!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

Harbor Springs

8. Re: What's A Nice/Cute/Special Town on West Shore Of Michigan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 17:18