We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

I'm thinking about taking Highway 23 from Mackinaw Island to Bay City. What's this drive like? My map of Michigan shows it as a scenic drive. What's the scenery like? Any nice places to eat and/or stay along this drive? Is it populated or pretty quiet? Thanks.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

wintersummer - The route you are thinking of taking is a good one. I have been on the net looking for a route that I saw a few months ago that goes through the Huron National Forest, it was an interesting route, just off of US 23. If I do find it I will post it here for you.

Here are a few web sites that tell about US 23. It is called the Sunrise Side Coastal Highway and there is also the River Road Forest Scenic Byway.

http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/10781/

www.michiganhighways.org/other/heritage.html

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

It is much quieter than going down the west side of the state on US-31. The scenery is mostly deciduous forest .

Unfortunately, at least part of it is torn up with construction this summer - the stretch between Mackinaw City and Cheboygan. You might check to see if that is also true farther south.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

Definately the scenic route. It's a two lane hwy. It's a good road, but it is two lanes. Max MPH is 55. Outside of the towns of course LOL.. If you have plenty of time, it would be a great way to drive and see the east coast of Michigan. Your going to encounter some slow downs with traffic and going through towns, but if you are not in a rush it would be fun. Often the road will take you along the Lake Huron Shore. There are many many places to stop and eat along the way. Oscoda or Tawas area might be a good place to stop and take a break. Tawas has a public dock that you can walk and see the water, and boats. Once you pass Tawas going towards Bay City you don't see the water but it is a good road. I don't know where your from, but south of Standish and around Pinconning there are several Michigan Cheese stores. To answer your question, it is not heavily populated, but some of the towns are of course. I would give your self 6-8 hours if you plan to stop at some of the cities, or scenic turn outs along the way, or stop and eat. If you don't stop, Im guessing 4 hours?

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

winersummer - As Lighthouselover has pointed out there is construction going on. Here is the construction on US-23

IN EFFECT TODAY! 3.84 miles of cold milling, rubblizing, HMA resurfacing, intersection and drainage improvements on US-23 from the railroad tracks north of Greenbush northerly to north of Clark Road, Alcona County

Mon 5/15/06, 7 AM to Fri 8/4/06, 12 AM

Single Lane Closure

Details: Traffic will be maintained using lane shifts, lane closures, and intermittent daytime lane closures. Motorists are urged to watch for traffic control changes and proceed with caution through the work zone.

Alcona County

Expires in 3 days Last updated: 5/24/06 9:08 AM

IN EFFECT TODAY! US-23 at M-61

Mon 7/17/06, 12 AM to Fri 8/11/06, 12 AM

Single Lane Closure

Details: Southbound US-23: one lane closed to allow for intersection construction at US-23/M-61.

Arenac County

Expires in 10 days Last updated: 7/24/06 1:51 PM

IN EFFECT TODAY! On US-23 from west of Western Avenue in Cheboygan, then northwest approximately 14 miles to southeast of Huron in the Village of Mackinaw City.

Mon 7/10/06, 12 AM to Thu 8/24/06, 12 AM

Flagging

Details: Daytime lane closures will occur with traffic maintained by a flag control operation.

Cheboygan County

Expires in 23 days Last updated: 6/29/06 10:11 AM

It will depend on when you are planning your trip and what construction is still going on. As you can see one ends in 3 days, another is 10 days from now and one ends in 23 days.

If you are leaving before the construction is done between Mackinaw City and Chepoygan (8/24), you could take I-75 down to C66 then head to Chepoygan or go down I-75 to Indian River and take 68 to Rogers City.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

for the record, I75 north of Bay City, around West Branch, has several miles of construction as well......

6. Re: Help with Highway 23 - Eastern Michigan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 00:15