We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

Jacksonville, FL
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

We will be in Detroit for a meeting and want to take a few days for a driving trip to Mackinac and back to Detroit to fly out...first week in October. We enjoy the journey so want to stop along the way...any suggestions? We will leave on Sunday and need to be back on Weds.afternoon to fly out of Detroit. No hiking as husband has walking difficulties - just still like road trips at a slower pace:)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

Frankenmuth is an interesting Bavarian village north of Detroit as you approach Flint off I 75

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

If you look at previous post in this forum you will find some questions from others that are very similar to yours and those posts maybe of some help to you.

Driving along the West coast of Michigan and taking in some of those towns is a popular route.

Level Contributor
1,531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

Bonners Christmas store. The worlds largest. A must see. Great lakes crossings mall in north Pontiac. States largest mall. The castle museumin Saginaw is cool too. Call of the wild museum in Gaylord is kinda neat. Those four would be my first choices. Have fun. Make sure to drive across the big Mac and maybe a short drive on us2 heading west.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

I would go up I-75 from Detroit, yeah the beach towns are nice on the west side of Michigan but not sure I would go out of my way to see them. Frankenmuth is great all of the time. Bay City can be worth seeing-if anything is happening, weekends are better then weekdays....thats as far north as I gone yet, lol

Michigan
Level Contributor
818 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

Coming from Florida I'd definitely skip all the outlet malls (best ones I've been to have been in Florida!) and Frankenmuth. Nice as it is as a nearby attraction for metro Detroit and Flint, if you've been to Epcot you've pretty much already seen it.

The rest of the state, on the other hand, is something special.

With the possible exception of adding in a few more links (or just youtube search "UTR, Tom" and any Michigan destination) my response (#13 in thread) to the couple from Georgia with mobility limitations includes all I know on the topic-- without even mentioning Mackinac Island. I challenge you to pare their 14 days down to 3! ;-)

http://goo.gl/blgUax

6. Re: Driving trip from Detroit to Mackinac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16