We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State Park Lodge

West of Cleveland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
State Park Lodge

What is the nicest state park lodge in Michigan?

Grand Rapids
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: State Park Lodge

Hi Dora...not sure what you mean by lodge. Some of our state parks have cabins if that is the same. The Wilderness State Park outside of Mackinaw City also has bunkhouses which sleep 24. We've been there for Girl Scouts and a family reunion. The bunkhouses (and I believe most of the cabins..check out the dnr web page on the parks with cabins) are rustic...and by rustic, I mean no electricity, running water, etc. It's basically four walls on a cement slab with a bunch of bunk beds and a couple of tables. However, the grill area is set up and big enough so that you can cook for a bunch of people at once. The fire pits are also nice size and you have picnic tables. There is an outhouse within close proximity but we just walked over to the bathhouses for real bathrooms and showers which are cleaned 3 times daily. The bunkhouse is also just across the park road and up a small hill from the beach on Lake Michigan (all still part of the state park).

West of Cleveland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: State Park Lodge

Sue

Here in Ohio we have a few state park lodges where it's a huge building with 80+ rooms, an indoor pool, game room, exercise room etc all included. The surrounding grounds will have an outdoor pool, hiking trails, picnic areas, fishing, etc.

I was looking for this type of facility in surrounding states.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like something worth looking into.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State Park Lodge

I haven't been able to find any Michigan State Parks that have accomodations as we have found in other states. I know you're inquiring about Michigan, but there is an Indiana State Park, Pokagon, that looks to have nice accomodations at the Potawatomi Inn.

West of Cleveland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: State Park Lodge

Thanks for the info on the Indiana state park. I'll see if I can find information online about Pokagon.

Chicago West Burbs
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State Park Lodge

Turkey Run State Park in Indiana has a nice lodge and the park has alot of activities. The park is north of Terra Haute.

I live in Illinois and have yet to stay at any of our state park lodges.

So many places to go and explore - so little time.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: State Park Lodge

Been to pokagan many times...the potawatomi inn is refirbished and very nice with a family oriented great room w fireplace, nice indoor pool, and activities. Only the restaurant is not the best but many choice and an outlet mall in the nearby city.

Best time to visit is after thanksgiving and before mid feb when their refrigerated tobogan slide is operating....4 person tobagans and great fun! They also have a wonderful nature center & reasonable cross country ski rental...they'll even give you brief instruction at no charge!

Weekends book up early!!

7. Re: State Park Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 03:18